News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Hide parts of the Info Center from Guests

Started by Rob Lightbody, May 02, 2018, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Lightbody

Can you hide the Info Center from guests?  Ideally it would say "this section only visible if you login".

Similarly, is it possible just to hide bits of the Info Center from Guests?

Trying to do as much as possible to encourage guests to login, while leaving the site open.

Rob Lightbody

Kindred

Just so you realize....   hiding things from guests - behind a statement of "you must log in to see this" -- and, especially things like the info center -- is a sure way to drive people AWAY from your site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rob Lightbody

Quote from: Kindred on May 02, 2018, 08:49:37 AM
Just so you realize....   hiding things from guests - behind a statement of "you must log in to see this" -- and, especially things like the info center -- is a sure way to drive people AWAY from your site.

I know, trying to strike a balance, currently 99 percent just read and don't login, it's the Facebook effect I'm sure.  Need to give them a reason to login while leaving enough for them to enjoy first.

Kindred

who cares if they read without logging in?

Requiring people to log in to REPLY is cool...  requiring people to log in to read is not.
This is how I have my association's facebook group set up
(public read, requires join to post/reply)
My professional association's site is similar.
(public read, requires registration to participate in conversation and to register for some events)

If your site is good and people WANT to participate, then they will register.
If your site is basically information and very little conversation, then perhaps a blog would be more appropriate than a forum. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rob Lightbody

Quote from: Kindred on May 02, 2018, 08:58:23 AM
who cares if they read without logging in?

Because then they can't reply, so it'll be like a blog...

The site's been on the go for 9 years. Was busy before Facebook came along.

Kindred

welcome to the world of computers.

I had a very popular dial-up BBS for years, before the internet came along and ruined that. :)

but you're right....   if they want to reply, then they have to register....  but I'll be that most of the readers have no desire to reply in the first place.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: