News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Embedding videos

Started by Drakkon, May 02, 2018, 08:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakkon

Is there a way to embed video attachments to play in a video player into a post? I have the mod that lets you do that but it doesn't work on mobile. I've tested stuff and I created a separate HTML page and linked to a video file I've upload manually through ftp and the video loads on mobile but if I hotlink to the attachment it doesn't display anything.

landyvlad

There are a number of video embedding mods. Which one are you using specifically?

Theory: It could be that the mobile user has their browser/phone set to not autoplay videos so they save on data, which would no doubt override any forum embedding system.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Drakkon

I'm using the play media mod. I'm testing it on my iPhone 8 Plus. I click on play on the player and nothing happens and if I click on the attachment link it doesn't play it. I manually uploaded the same video file through ftp and created an html page with the video player code and it played perfectly through my phone. Could it be that on mobile the code doesn't work with the attachment url?

landyvlad

Dunno that's probably a question best asked in the mod's support thread.

Have a look at Yet Another YouTube BBCode Tag mod.
I use it and seems to work well.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I use SAVE myself http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2681

Keeping up with all different providers and their code changes is not really something I'd see easily included in the core code in any version, luckily there are mods ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Drakkon

Thanks, guys.

I was actually talking about video attachments displaying in a player. Like if a member uploads a video attachment, it will display in a player in their post. I found one that works but not on mobile.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, alright - That might just be intentional on the mod author's part, have you asked in the mod's own support topic?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: