Internal 500 errors when clicking Account Settings or Forum Profile & No Signups

Started by Seamless, May 04, 2018, 04:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamless

Hi all,

We've got an issue with our site http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/ [nofollow]

If anyone tries to signup they get an Internal 500 error. If anyone is logged in and tries to go to account settings or forum profiles they get the same issue too.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this may be?

Looking

Did you recently install some mods or adjust files? You will need to look at the error log possibly on the server (no just Admin) to see what it says.

Kindred

even aside from having recently installed mods.... what mods do you have installed?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pepa

Do you have Better Profile Menu installed?  Also, like Looking says .. check the server error log and tell us what it says.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

A 500 error should leave in an entry in the server's error log, and that log could easily explain the cause. Please do check that log.
It seems the registration page gives a HTTP 500 immediately upon opening, so perhaps start by trying to locate an error related to that.

Also as requested, a list of all installed mods could be useful.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Seamless

Hi everyone - thanks for the offer to help.

These are the currently installed mods:

1.   @mention members   1.1.2     
2.   SMF 2.0.12 Update   1.0
3.   Pretty URLs   1.1.6     
4.   SMF 2.0.14 Update   1.0   
5.   SMF 2.0.3 Update   1.0   
6.   Login Form Fix   1.0 
7.   Like Posts   2.0.3
8.   SMF 2.0.15 Update   1.0 
9.   KeyCAPTCHA for SMF   2.13   
10.   SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update   1.0   
11.   Like Posts   2.0.5 
12.   SMF 2.0.13 Update   1.0   
13.   Pretty URLs   1.0   
14.   ENotify   3.0 
15.   Ad Managment   3.1
16.   SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update   1.0
17.   Spoiler BBCode   1.1.1   
18.   Spoiler BBCode   1.1.3 

Which error log should I be looking at on the server?

Thanks in advance! :)

Kindred

Look for the server error log....  error.log or errorlog. Or something like that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

From your list it appears you have double installs of two mods, that could be a problem.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Yeah, I was about to mention this too. You should always uninstall the previous version before installing a new one.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Seamless

Hi again, all :)

I've uninstalled the duplicate mods, sadly didn't make much difference. Here is what I currently have installed:

1.   @mention members   1.1.2     
2.   SMF 2.0.12 Update   1.0   
3.   Pretty URLs   1.1.6     
4.   SMF 2.0.14 Update   1.0   
5.   SMF 2.0.3 Update   1.0   
6.   Login Form Fix   1.0   
7.   SMF 2.0.15 Update   1.0     
8.   KeyCAPTCHA for SMF   2.13
9.   SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update   1.0   
10.   Like Posts   2.0.5 
11.   SMF 2.0.13 Update   1.0
12.   ENotify   3.0
13.   Ad Managment   3.1
14.   SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update   1.0
15.   Spoiler BBCode   1.1.3 

Weirdly, my error logs seem to have stopped updating in 2017 O.o

As an alternative I was able to load up the last '300 errors' using CPanel. I tried clicking on the stuff I know that causes the 500 errors and it seems to have picked them up:

[Tue Jul 03 05:42:58 2018] [error] [client 95.148.243.255] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/seamless/public_html/fantasy-faction.com/forum/Sources/Profile-Modify.php on line 960
[Tue Jul 03 05:42:48 2018] [error] [client 95.148.243.255] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/seamless/public_html/fantasy-faction.com/forum/Sources/Profile-Modify.php on line 960
[Tue Jul 03 05:41:50 2018] [error] [client 37.187.116.199] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'if' (T_IF) in /home/seamless/public_html/fantasy-faction.com/forum/Sources/Register.php on line 312, referer: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/register/?PHPSESSID=kvge15kb35gfrjigaaps5m1d40
[Tue Jul 03 05:41:46 2018] [error] [client 37.187.116.199] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'if' (T_IF) in /home/seamless/public_html/fantasy-faction.com/forum/Sources/Register.php on line 312, referer: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/register/?PHPSESSID=kvge15kb35gfrjigaaps5m1d40
[Tue Jul 03 05:41:37 2018] [error] [client 95.148.243.255] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/seamless/public_html/fantasy-faction.com/forum/Sources/Profile-Modify.php on line 960, referer: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php

I also spotted these two through SMF:

Shambles

Others may disagree, but I'd suggest downloading and attaching those two files to your next post here, so they can be fixed. Then we can take it from there as to routing out the cause.

Sources/Profile-Modify.php

Sources/Register.php

Kindred

actually, at this point - the best bet is probably to upload a clean set of files and then reinstall the mods that you want
Слaва
Украинi

GigaWatt

I agree, a clean install is probably the best solution. You don't have a lot of mods installed, it shouldn't take more than a day or two to get everything sorted like it was ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Shambles

Refreshing the files may be the best solution going forward, but you lose the opportunity to see what might have caused the issue.

GigaWatt

Kindred

Well, it was almost certainly a mod issue - probably a conflict code edit.   Doesn't really matter as long as the site can get running and it doesn't happen again.
Слaва
Украинi

Seamless

Seamless

So, following the steps in the post Shambles put up, everything was fixed and working.

I began installing the mods back and when I got to 'Like Posts' I noticed that the layout was all messed up when I installed it and thought I'd just get rid of it.

I decided to uninstall it and the moment I did the entire Forum below the header stopped displaying.

I tried the method Shambles posted again as a way to fix it and this time it didn't seem to help.

Weird thing is it is fine when not logged in (i.e. everything is displayed fine), but when you log in then you see just the header and nothing below >.<

Any ideas?

(I wish I'd left it now!)  O:) O:) O:)

GigaWatt

Could you post a screen shot? How did you do the second install? Did you do it exactly like the first one? Did you restore the backup from the database before the first reinstall or did you do the second reinstall with the database from the first reinstall?

Advertisement: