Whole forum is down due to a corrupt table

Started by backend, May 06, 2018, 03:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Well, because making an official release is not simple...   and, as the page clearly states, beta versions should not be used in production, nor should they be used unless you understand technical and debugging processes.

2.0.15 is the current release in the main supported branch.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Quote from: backend on December 09, 2018, 12:35:33 PM
Quote from: Arantor on December 09, 2018, 12:14:44 PM
Beta versions should be taken from GitHub where the development happens - beta 3 is over a year old, with 'beta 4' being developed since.

Curious why the newest version is not here on SMF, as it  may create confusion about what is the latest version available,

Because it changes literally nearly every day...

backend

thanks guys, i ended up using the 2.0.15 Large Upgrade (https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-15_upgrade.zip)

Now having another issue with the update:

"Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again"[/b}

And this has been for hours and it is still stuck on "Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script)"

Illori

there are no database changes since SMF 2.0 was released, you dont need to run the upgrade script. also it is recommend to use the package manager patches to upgrade if you are already on some sub version of SMF 2.0.

if you did use the large upgrade package that means you have uninstalled maybe even partially uninstalled your mods and may need to reinstall them when you are done.

backend

Quote from: Illori on December 09, 2018, 08:04:22 PM
there are no database changes since SMF 2.0 was released, you dont need to run the upgrade script. also it is recommend to use the package manager patches to upgrade if you are already on some sub version of SMF 2.0.

if you did use the large upgrade package that means you have uninstalled maybe even partially uninstalled your mods and may need to reinstall them when you are done.

To make a long story short, assuming you didn't follow this thread from the beginning (Gosh, even I forgot some of the details lol) , we had to upgrade because we were having issues and I kept getting errors. One of which was the following : "Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'"

After some research, I found out it had to do with running old files/DB and needed to upgrade to new version of PHP which I did.

backend

Quote from: backend on December 09, 2018, 08:07:49 PM
Quote from: Illori on December 09, 2018, 08:04:22 PM

To make a long story short, assuming you didn't follow this thread from the beginning (Gosh, even I forgot some of the details lol) , we had to upgrade because we were having issues and I kept getting errors. One of which was the following : "Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'"

After some research, I found out it had to do with running old files/DB and needed to upgrade to new version of PHP which I did.

If I don't upgrade, I am getting '"Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'"'

And I do try to upgrade, I am stuck at 14% and mot moving. Been trying it for days.

If I could get over '"Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'" without having to upgrade, would be a lot better.

Any advise?

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: backend on December 12, 2018, 01:17:44 AM
And I do try to upgrade, I am stuck at 14% and mot moving. Been trying it for days.
When it gets stuck at 14% are there any errors in either the PHP or MySQL error logs?

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: backend on December 12, 2018, 01:17:44 AM
If I could get over '"Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'" without having to upgrade, would be a lot better.

Well, you can't.  A 1.1 database will not work in 2.0.15 install.  Upgrade will sometimes fail if you're on a really crappy server.  I've had to upgrade several forums by importing db to test install on my host, upgrade, import upgraded db to original forum.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

backend

Happy new year everyone. Been busy last couple of weeks with the holidays so haven't been able to work on this.

I am running the upgrade again and I am stuck at 14%, with the following error message:

"Executing upgrade script 1 of 2.
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script)

!!Error!
Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again"

I have run this a million times and it keeps getting stuck at the same percentage, so there is clearly something wrong that is preventing this from progressing.

Please advise!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That error is a bit misleading, as it doesn't actually mean the script has stopped. Allow it some time, and it will try to continue automatically.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Just reread this topic, still on GoDaddy?  That's your biggest problem right now.  Are you trying to upgrade a 1.1 datrabase to 2.0?  Is the 1.1 database currently running in a 1.1 install?  Have you dropped the backup tables?

- R. Waters

backend

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 03, 2019, 04:38:47 PM
Just reread this topic, still on GoDaddy?  That's your biggest problem right now.  Are you trying to upgrade a 1.1 datrabase to 2.0?  Is the 1.1 database currently running in a 1.1 install?  Have you dropped the backup tables?

Frankly, as much as GoDaddy is hated here (and I am not here to defend it) I think it is not a good idea to attack it when people are trying to get help. I noticed this being a common theme here. It is not easy to just pick up and leave. Some people have tens of different domains and websites hosted with them.

And to answer your question, yes that is what I am doing.

Arantor

I guess you've not had to recover sites where GoDaddy's incompetence has been the sole cause of a forum being damaged, sometimes almost beyond repair.

Sir Osis of Liver

Nothing personal against GoDaddy, it's just that they're a terrible host.  I've worked on a number of forums that were trashed for no other reason than their gross stupidity.  I've moved several forums off GD to other hosts, and have regulars who remain there.  If you are concientious (sp?) about maintaining your forum, and do regular backups, you can get by with them, but there are many hosts in same price range that offer better packages and much better support.  As for upgrades, I've done two or three that could not be run on GD, had to import db dump into test install on my server, upgrade there, then move it back to GD.  This should never be necessary on any reasonably competent host.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sad truth is that GoDaddy is the definition of overseller, and a bad one at that, and while that might not be a problem for static sites, it can fast become a major issue with forums.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Been working on this forum couple of days, got as far as this, not sure what to look for at this point.  Production database and recent backups are trashed.  This backup was from 3 May 2018, several days before OP started this topic.  It contains a set of backup tables that run normally in clean 1.1.2 install, but they're from 2007.  Current set of tables is what you see - forum loads, displays database error, no errors logged by forum or server.  I've removed dozens of mod settings from smf_settings, dropped mod tables, ran all phpmyadmin maintenance tasks.  Settings and paths are correct, don't see anything that looks out of place.  Any ideas?

Update:  Just tried something before going offline.  1.1.2 installer will not run on my server, doesn't like MariaDB 10.0.16.  Don't recall ever running a db this old.  The backup tables do work, but could this be causing a problem?  Will try importing cleaned up db to OP's GoDaddy account tomorrow night when I'm back on.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

Post the database errors might be able to find some clues.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not logging any errors I can see.  Will ask host support if db errors are being logged elsewhere.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

Yeah if you are logged in as admin you can see the error.
If not you have edit the source of SMF to take off the admin check for the database error page.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

LiroyvH

If the db is crashing due to an aggressive resource limitation, running the upgrader on that server is like playing Russian roulette with it.
Best chance is doing it locally indeed. Did I read correctly that the forum is on a very old 1.1 version? You may have more luck running the upgrader on an older PHP/mySQL version. At the very least lower than mySQL 5.7 or similar as that may have you end up running in to the middle finger of strict mode... Which may not end up in regular logs you can see.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: