News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMF THEMES

Started by gragra, May 06, 2018, 11:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gragra

Hi guys. I've installed SMF and downloaded new theme. And right now I'm trying to change something in it. One question do I have to make changes in Default theme?

SMF Themes is based on default theme anyway? Because I can't remove default theme. And in default theme there's much more files than in 3rd party theme.

I'm trying to change images from .../topic/ section from .gif to .png

Thank you

P.S. There's any chance to turn off cache at all? Because my site is in progress now and it's so annoying when you change something and nothing happens. I'm always clearing browser cache and data but it doesn't help.

Also what's wrong with that:
For example if i upload image to THEME/TOPIC/normal_post.gif nothing changes at all. If you reach file directly via browser you'll see old one. Browser data removed, cache as well. You can install brand new browser and you'll see old picture. If you add ?fin(anynumber) you will see new image. WTF?

br360

Welcome to SMF.

When you are trying to make edits to a custom theme, you should be doing the changes to the files of that theme and not the default. So for example; if you wanted to change an image, it would be in themes/yourcustomtheme/file where image is

To turn off cache, go to Admin » Server Settings » Caching.

Also try refreshing your browser by doing a hard refresh (ctrl + F5 on your keyboard)

gragra

Quote from: br360 on May 06, 2018, 01:10:42 PM
Welcome to SMF.

When you are trying to make edits to a custom theme, you should be doing the changes to the files of that theme and not the default. So for example; if you wanted to change an image, it would be in themes/yourcustomtheme/file where image is

To turn off cache, go to Admin » Server Settings » Caching.

Also try refreshing your browser by doing a hard refresh (ctrl + F5 on your keyboard)

Thank you for reply. I've found what I needed. But in my downloaded theme there's much less files than in default. Even if you install new theme it is linked with default isn't?

For cache things I'm doing exactly same way but it doesn't update fast.

br360

If your new custom theme has a specific file (index.css or index.template.php for examples) it will use that file. If it does not have it's own specific template, it will use the default one.

If your cache is off, and refreshing your browser isn't working, reach out to your host and ask them what kind of cache they are using. See if they can turn it off for you

Sir Osis of Liver

You can put this in your forum root -

.htaccess

# NEVER CACHE
<FilesMatch "\.(txt|htm|html|php|css)$">
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate"
</FilesMatch>

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: