News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New post notification not disappear after reading - level of boards too deep?

Started by JessyKa, May 07, 2018, 01:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessyKa

We have a forum that was just recently upgraded to 2.0.15.

Due to a very high number of boards/threads I had always struggled with a problem that should have been solved with the 2.0.x, but it is not.

I like to structure the threads in boards. That makes it easier for new users to find exactly what they want.

If there are only 2 levels of boards anything is fine. You get a new-post-notification, jump to the post, the smf marks the thread and the boards as read and anything is fine.

To make it more clear:

New post in forum:

Before
BOARD LV1 *new*
-- BOARD1 LV2 *new*
            |--- THREAD1 *new*
-- BOARD2 LV2

and after reading:

After
BOARD LV1
-- BOARD1 LV2
            |--- THREAD1
-- BOARD2 LV2

Now I wanted to even more structure the boards. Creating a third level. And now there is no way that smf marks the boards above as read. You only can use the button "mark as read" to get rid of the *new*-message. Yet only the boards are marked as unread, there is no more unread post to be found.

New post in forum:

Before
BOARD LV1 *new*
-- BOARD1 LV2 *new*
            --- BOARD2 LV3 *new*
                          |--- THREAD1 *new*

and after reading:

After
BOARD LV1 *new*
-- BOARD1 LV2 *new*
            --- BOARD2 LV3 *new*
                          |--- THREAD1

Can anyone confirm this problem? Is there another thread I didn't find?

And is there a solution in configuration the boards or the mechanism of marking posts/boards as read?

Hope the explanation is sufficient.

Thanks in advance!

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

JessyKa

Ok, thanks!

Tooo bad, but knowing it I will have to return to just one level  :'(

Kindred

why do you feel the need to build so many levels?   in general, simpler is better anyway.  Users don't like having to crawl through layer after layer of board to get to the content that they want.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JessyKa

Hello Kindred,
I really would like to agree and I see the point in your remark.
The forum is about one criminal case and there are so many different ideas and theories and questions and persons, so that a number of boards is needed to sort.
In leveling the boards you can reduce the number of boards on the starting page of the forum and that is also one point - to not overcrowd the starting page. User should simply choose if they want to be informed about pictures or persons and then find all the threads. Not having 30 boards on the main page.

Well, it is ok, I will change back to the more even structure  :)

Advertisement: