Guest threshold on stats & immediate activation of Maintenance Mode

Started by Kiriakos GR, May 09, 2018, 05:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiriakos GR

In the past six months my forum this is under attack,  while usual traffic sources was mainly known search engines, today any dump ass cloud hosting company, this sends their own bots about scanning entire forum over and over every day.

Amount of countries over our planet multiplied by at least 30 ambitious cloud hosting companies among with web hosting providers among with Internet TV services providers, among with Bot spammers, all these freely causing network abuse at every SMF based forum.

I am unable to monitor and act against such network abuse 24 hours per day.
I do handle things manually most hours of the day.

I am now looking for a software Mod which this one will automatically activate Maintenance Mode at specific Guests threshold.
When I am aware that regular amount of Guests per hours this is 20~40 when numbers get as high as 250 then there is no doubt that network abuse this is happening once more.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kiriakos GR on May 09, 2018, 05:41:25 AM
I am now looking for a software Mod which this one will automatically activate Maintenance Mode at specific Guests threshold.

Ummm... when a registered user tries to visit the forum, he is a guest before he logs in... you do realize this, right? The forum will be in maintenance mode even for registered users if that threshold is reached... not to mention that registered users that are logged in will be logged out as soon as the forum enters maintenance mode.

Quote from: Kiriakos GR on May 09, 2018, 05:41:25 AM
When I am aware that regular amount of Guests per hours this is 20~40 when numbers get as high as 250 then there is no doubt that network abuse this is happening once more.

So? I usually have about 150 to 200 guests on my forum... I know more than 90% of them are bots, but why bother. If they can't register, the only thing they can do is crawl. That doesn't take too much bandwidth. I've got 100GB per month on my ISP and I've never used more than 10GB (and this is the max value, it's usually between 5 and 8GB).

If somebody's not attacking your site/forum (DDoS), I wouldn't worry about it.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Illori

topic cleaned up. if you are interested in this, please PM the OP.

Advertisement: