can I stop guest use of email

Started by joehark, May 09, 2018, 11:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joehark

My error log tells me my two week old, low traffic SM site is being hit a number of time per minute, 24/7 by "guests" who are trying to use mail but generate a 535 error.

Obviously, these attempts are from people who want to send out spam. I have mail turned off for guests. And their attempt generates the errors message.

When I visit the site without being logged in, I do not see any way for a guest to even start a email. How are they able to even see and start email?

Wherever that access may be, how can I block guests from even seeing it? I am sure I am not the only one who has this issue but I did not find a mod or a post here in the forum to deal with it.

Suggestions please? 

Kindred

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Security_and_Moderation
Do not reveal contact details of members to guests - If selected, this option will hide the e-mail addresses and messenger contact details of all members from any guests on your forum
Allow viewable email addresses - If this option is enabled instead of users e-mail addresses being hidden to normal members and guests they will be publicly viewable on the forum. Enabling this will put your users at greater risk of being victims of spam as a result of e-mail harvesters visiting your forum. Note: this setting does not override the user setting for hiding their email address from users. Enabling this setting is not recommended.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

joehark

Thanks for the response. I have had the following setting since I published the board

Do not reveal contact details of members to guests - checked
Allow viewable email addresses - not checked

But still I am see Guest attempts to use mail and generating Error 535. I've received more than a dozen while writing this message.

Here's the full merrr message

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
http://mywebsite.com/index.php?scheduled=mailq;ts=1525984596
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 535 Incorrect authentication data

So, with sincere respect, something else is going on. How can these would be hackers even attempt to send email. When I am logged out and come to the board as a Guest, I cannot find anything that looks like a way to send email. But they are finding something. Does anyone know how that is possible?

Illori

that means the guest is hitting the forum casusing a scheduled task to run that needs to send email. the email is not able to authorize to the server.

joehark

are you saying that this is happening automatically when a guest vis1ts the forum and is not something someone is doing maliciously?

Illori

joehark

so, either this is happening to everyone (which I doubt) or there is a setting that is causing it. Do you have a suggestion as to where that setting might be?

a10

Does normal email sending \ queue (pm notifications, registration emails etc) work correctly ?
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: joehark on May 10, 2018, 04:55:03 PM
so, either this is happening to everyone (which I doubt) or there is a setting that is causing it. Do you have a suggestion as to where that setting might be?
Do test your mail functionality. Send a newsletter to yourself, try notifications, run the scheduled task manually. The error is one that would either happen to everyone always, or be a temporary login issue in mail service connectivity.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: