News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

hover BBCode request (too lazy right now)

Started by aegersz, May 11, 2018, 12:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

i noticed that wiki use the HTML/css hover function and i make good use out of it.

links distract me and my thought chain gets interruptis [sic.]

It's a simple enough task and A VALUABLE function that we can all us.

anyone up for the coding task ? my ability is locked away in a time delay safe.

good idea ?

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

GL700Wing

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

lurkalot

aegersz

thanks but only sort of but i want it in a post.

i don't want url or iurl, would prefer to hover (i am a "desktop" guy) so a little window pops up with a small block of text.

not cool with touch screens, though.

i have tried it on my pure HTML test pages and it's great.

i have been learning neurology and the amount of words i encounter that have only been recently conceived force me to take hypertext links and it's really annoying as I end up deeply nested (and get a bit lost).

back tracking is confusing - i never thought links would annoy me but in this case, i end up running 3 browsers with 20 tabs a piece, going.

Chrome, Opera and Firefox ... in that order.

i want to add the "hover" feature to my site to explain the chemical names for particular drugs without a link.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Kindred

use the glossary mod...

we use it on fx-sabers for great effect (and yes, it has the option for a pop-up on hover)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: aegersz on May 11, 2018, 04:20:30 AM
back tracking is confusing - i never thought links would annoy me but in this case, i end up running 3 browsers with 20 tabs a piece, going.

Wanna compete? 174 tabs in one browser ::)... not to mention my screen resolution ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

aegersz

no contest.

you're nuts  :P

I'm going to use dougie's Custom BBCode Manager to get started

aegersz

Introducing the (mouse) "hover" BBCode for non-touch screens

How to configure dougie's Custom BBCodes Manager for "hover"

Choose the Create New Tag button >

Tag name = hover

Tag Description for Button = hover

Tag type = Parsed Equals

The HTML used for the tag:

<abbr title="{option1}">{content}</abbr>

Usage:

[hoverBBC=MESSAGE THAT POPS UP SO NO NEED FOR A LINK]hover over me[/hoverBBC]

Example:

[hover=MESSAGE THAT POPS UP SO NO NEED FOR A LINK]hover over me[/hover]

Kindred

You know....   I think the glossary mod might work better for you, over all...  then then abbreviation would be AUTOMAICALLY linked to the definition with a pop up...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

sorry, Kindred - i didn't look at it but did just now.

i may explore it later as i can see that much effort has gone into it.

aegersz

oh, i just remembered, attached is the "hover" gif for the editor:

Advertisement: