News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Security Concern

Started by Comms Group, May 14, 2018, 08:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comms Group

Sorry if this is on the wrong board but I could not see an obvious place to post it.

We use SMF for a business forum and, as such, are subject to oversight by our IT Dept. I have been advised that they are concerned about possible vulnerabilities that are outlined in the following article - https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/10274/

We are using 2.0.14. Have the issues raised in this article been addressed?

Thanks
AM

landyvlad

I can't answer that, but I do find it odd that your IT department's concerns are based upon a version of the program dating from 2009 and an article from that time.  That's nine years ago !

No doubt one of the project team would be able to address your specific question.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Looking

QuoteWe are using 2.0.14.
You should be at 2.0.15.

vbgamer45

Yes they have been that was from and old version of SMF.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Comms Group

Thanks all. I understand the article referred to an older version of SMF and I was also surprised that the Analysts were quoting such an old article.

I also agree that we should be on 2.0.15 but I don't think that addresses this issue.

Is there any information on the Siteground website I can use that shows that these issues have been addressed?

Thanks
AM

vbgamer45

No they have all been fixed. There is no known security issues with the current version of SMF 2.0.15 Otherwise all our sites would be at risk. It was made with a series of patches over the years.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

SMF has a good record of keeping up with such things, and I can assure you a report that old has been handled and the issues fixed.
That being said, many times patches to 2.0 include security fixes, and keeping up with current releases is just good practise.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

you can always check the changelog on the downloads page which will give you an idea of what has been patched over the years. it may not tell you exactly what security issue was fixed but it will tell you something.

landyvlad

and point your IT people to this thread if they are seeking reassurance.

Or perhaps they just need a cuddle.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

aegersz

Quote from: landyvlad on May 15, 2018, 10:41:59 AM
and point your IT people to this thread if they are seeking reassurance.

Or perhaps they just need a cuddle.

here, a BIG FAT ((((((HUG))))) from me might help ... and this reminder:

IF YOU DO WRONG BY THE COMMUNITY then your "security" won't help you.

what do i mean by this ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: