News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Issues migrating from SMF1.1 to new host

Started by arkfor, May 15, 2018, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkfor

Hi!

I'm having some problem migrating my old SMF 1.1(RC3 actually) on a Windows server, to a new Linux one (Debian 9), with the idea of then update to SMF 2.x.
I installed Lighttpd, MariaDB and PHP5.6.
Server is working for basic HTML files. Typical PHP tests like phpinfo works, so I assumed the basics are covered.
I put the forum in maintenance, and I manually dumped the database obtaining an .sql file (I read that the backup function of the forum may produce some malformed results). I then imported the file on the new MariaDB, and all seems to have being going well.
I downloaded and then uploaded all the forums files in the new server, changed&checked the files permissions (to www-data).
Then I got the repair_settings.php file, but when trying to run it, the script doesn't execute as expected but instead output part of the code starting from "function restoreAll()".

I'm attaching a screen shot of the browser window.

I though I followed the procedures and recommendations correctly, but evidently not.
What I have missed? Is there something that I can check to diagnose the problem?

Thank you in advance.

vbgamer45

I would try to upgrade your SMF 1.1.1.x to the latest SMF 1.1.x first then go to SMF 2.0.

I am not sure if the repair settings tool will work with SMF 1.1. RC versions
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

arkfor

I see.
What would be the best or most correct way to proceed with the update of the current 1.1RC3 forum?
In https://download.simplemachines.org/ I see only the upgrade to 2.0.15.

Thanks!

arkfor

OK, I'll apply all the updates in successions and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Illori

Kindred

I don't think that you can actually apply upgrades in procession from an RC version. I believe that you would have to use the large upgrade to go to at least the 1.1.0 gold release (and, at that point, I'd suggest going to 1.1.21 directly)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

arkfor

OK, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Later I'll try and report back the results!

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2018, 12:49:07 PM
use the large upgrade to go to at least the 1.1.0 gold release (and, at that point, I'd suggest going to 1.1.21 directly)

Yes, bad things can happen if you try to bump RC higher than gold.  I would go 1.1 RC3 -> 1.1.0 -> 1.1.21 -> 2.0.15.  If you can't get from 1.1.0 -> 1.1.21 in one jump, try something in between.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

arkfor

OK, here's the situation.
On the old Windows server (the one running ver 1.1RC3), I successfully updated first to 1.1 and then to the latest 1.1.21. So now the latest version of the 1.x branch is running without issues.

So I proceeded to make a new dump of the entire smf database, and a ZIP of all the forum files.
On the new Linux server I deleted both the db and all the previous files, restored the new db dump e copied the forum files.
But again, when I run /forum/upgrade_settings.php, I get the same output as per my first message.

So, I took a look at Settings.php, and manually changed the obvious parameters (board urls, db password, directories).
With that, it's almost running. Except that when I load any page, it get downloaded as a GZ compressed file instead of rendered. I guess it must be something stupid I'm overlooking, but I tried disabling compressions both in Lighttpd and PHP, with no effect.

Almost there but not quite. Any last tips?

Thanks!

Kindred

It actually sounds like php is not actually running
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

arkfor

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2018, 09:58:16 PM
It actually sounds like php is not actually running

No, that is working. A simple info.php or version.php file run correctly.
And with Wget I'm able to get the forum index page (probably because it doesn't negotiate the compressed content, or decode it anyway), but Chrome or Edge instead download a GZipped file.

At this point is probably more a Lighttpd configuration issue, me think...

arkfor

Oh, man!
I was using "/usr/bin/php" instead "/usr/bin/php-cgi" in the lighttpd config!  :-[

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks everyone for the detailed info on the upgrade process!

Advertisement: