News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Trouble Installing Forum

Started by novic3, May 17, 2018, 09:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novic3

Please forgive me. I understand their is a wiki but I am a computer noob lol

Which version of simple machines is the latest? 2.015?

Do I download zip or gz?

When I upload it to the server do I put it in public html?

Do I upload it as the whole zip and extract on the server or is their a sub-folder to upload?

Thanks

vbgamer45

2.0.15 is the latest stable.

Upload the contents of the zip file to public_html if you want your whole site to be your forum. otherwise make a forum folder and upload it there.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

novic3

so do I upload the zip to public_html in my copanel then extract the zip?

In the zip I see the sub folder of smf_2-0-15_install  what do I do with that folder? thx

vbgamer45

Yeah if you can extract the contents via cpanel.
If not just upload all the files via ftp
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

sorry I was unclear :) Do I upload the zip into the public_html then extract the zip itself within public html and run the installer or do I open the zip on my desktop and ONLY upload the smf_2-0-15_install (6) in the public_html?

Thanks

vbgamer45

Upload the contents of  smf_2-0-15_install (6) from your desktop via ftp to the public_html folder

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

so not the folder itself but all of the subfolders within? then I put all those sub folders in the public_html area on the server?

thx

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

ok, I did that but now when I do mydomain/forum/install.php I get a 404 error page. I uploaded the folder into cpanel, then moved it to public_html then I removed the contents from the folder and put it in but no luck :(

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

sorry what I meant to say is when I do freeadzworld/forum/install.php (my website domain name)  I get a 404 error page. I uploaded the folder into cpanel, then moved it to public_html then I removed the contents from the folder and put it in but no luck :(

I am having trouble with the installer

vbgamer45

Did you put in a folder forum if not don't use it

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

so your saying put a subfolder called "Forum" in my public_html?

thanks

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

ok I got it to work however it asks for the database prefix. What is that?

sorry for really noob questions lol

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

so you are saying leave the table prefix as "smf_"

(I made a database like the instructions told me)

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

novic3

now I get a 502 error

"502 Bad Gateway
The server returned an invalid or incomplete response."

what do I do?

thx

Kindred

you need to upload the entire contents of the zip to your target location..  not just subfolders. ALL files and folders.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: