News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Trouble Installing Forum

Started by novic3, May 17, 2018, 09:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novic3

I think I did however I get a 502 error. Am I missing a file? if so which one?

thx

UPDATE: now I get

"Critical Error!
Cannot connect to the database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host."

novic3

I apologize for bumping but here is the diagnostic in the attachment below.

vbgamer45

You have to create a database user and database using your control panel/cpanel
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

novic3

I added that info of the database and user password but I still get errors. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help and time :)

Illori

you would need to reach out to your host so they can assist you further.

novic3

so its not me at this point but a file permissions issue with the host?

thx

Kindred

well, there might be a file permission issue... but the database issue seems to indicate that the values which you put into SMF do not match what your server settings are for the database, database username, database password or database host location...  one or more of those settings would seem to be different from what you are thinking it would be.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

novic3

sorry I am a noob I did not type it correctly. I got it to work but now it tells me to type my url

I typed "http://freeadzworld.com/forum" however, I want users to simply type in google or click freeadzworld.com and be able to reach my site which is a default forum.

How do I achieve this?

thx

-d3vcho; Link removed due to security risk

novic3

sorry to bump again but where do I find my database password? is that my databse user password?

thx

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

novic3

sorry now I got it installed HOWEVER it is white. How do I fix it?

(see attachment)

Chen Zhen

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Chen Zhen

Specifically your default theme settings.
You can set them within SMF admin if you want:
Admin -> Current Theme
.. and adjust the url's + path in the "Theme URL's and Configuration Settings" at the top.

There may be more that need adjustment which is why I suggested the repair settings method in my previous post.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

novic3

Quote from: Chen Zhen on May 18, 2018, 03:36:45 PM

Specifically your default theme settings.
You can set them within SMF admin if you want:
Admin -> Current Theme
.. and adjust the url's + path in the "Theme URL's and Configuration Settings" at the top.

There may be more that need adjustment which is why I suggested the repair settings method in my previous post.

So what do I change the links to? (see attachment)

Thanks for your time

Illori

at the bottom of the page should be a reset button, click it. it will do the hard work for you.

novic3

Quote from: Illori on May 18, 2018, 03:59:12 PM
at the bottom of the page should be a reset button, click it. it will do the hard work for you.

sorry but I am having trouble finding the "reset" button? you mean hit the "save" button?

thx :)

Kindred

you have to RESET all of the URLs to use the correct setting, THEN press save
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

a10

Example (see attachment).

Quotehowever, I want users to simply type in google or click freeadzworld.com and be able to reach my site which is a default forum.
That can be fixed later (.htaccess redirect), but first I'd think it's best to get the basics to work properly.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Chen Zhen

Admin -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings -> Attempt to reset all themes

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Kindred

that only works if the base URL for the forum is already correct - that's why we use repair_settings.php which can fix ALL of the URLs at once
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: