News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Search ?

Started by keyboard, May 19, 2018, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboard

If I have a message named "Jude" and I do a search for "Jude", it will not find it. If this is true, my forum has a massive database using this naming convention, how can I correct this?

Thanks
Ron
Слaва
Украинi

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If I understood you correctly - yes, the search should find it, and to make it a little easier, the advanced search options have a checkbox for "Search in topic subjects only".
However - the search is not one of the best features of SMF as it is. The bigger your database grows, the harder it gets to find something specific like that.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you have a search index set up?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

keyboard

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 19, 2018, 04:31:55 PM
Do you have a search index set up?

Please tell me where to go to check this
Слaва
Украинi

keyboard

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 19, 2018, 01:26:10 PM
If I understood you correctly - yes, the search should find it, and to make it a little easier, the advanced search options have a checkbox for "Search in topic subjects only".
However - the search is not one of the best features of SMF as it is. The bigger your database grows, the harder it gets to find something specific like that.

I should have explained myself better.....

I create a topic called "Jude"
In the message area, I only insert ":-)"
Then I add the attachment "Jude.mid"
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 19, 2018, 01:26:10 PM
the search is not one of the best features of SMF as it is

Very true, but not just SMF.  It's abysmal in vBulletin too.

Potentially a good option is using google but restricting search to your forum / site as opposed the the internet as a whole.

eg if you wanted to search for the word "Jude" on the SMF forum here you'd type into the google search box:

site:simplemachines.org jude

Keeping in mind, though, that this requires googles bots to have indexed the site so won't allow you to find recent threads such as the one we are discussing this in.....

details:
https://www.lifewire.com/google-search-one-website-1616499
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-to-use-googles-site-search-2014-1
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: