News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

"who viewed my post ?" FEATURE

Started by aegersz, May 19, 2018, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

Hi, i helped getting an old mod going that reported on who viewed a POST but i had to uninstall it because it provided too much information.

i also run dougiefresh's mod to exclude view counts of the TOPICS (love that mod) !

i would like to see which MEMBERS (and a 'Guest' bin counter) viewed a particular topic (probably only practical for low-traffic sites like mine (but the other day, 35 GB was accessed, as reported by Linux Logwatch)).

i could try to write the mod but i am a busy thinking about the ethics of privacy as well as working on my experimental CentOS7 system running the most recent kernel (exploring Docker, chroot and deeply nested virtualization).

as ever, any input is welcome ... i like to know who reads what so i can later analyse what topics are of great interest and more importantly, to whom.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

br360

I doubt this would ever be a feature of SMF but I think this mod might do what you are looking for. (Not sure about guest views though)

It's not a free mod, but it should only cost a couple of dollars- https://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=181

Looks like you can see who viewed a topic, how many times, and when- and it can be set so only admins see it.

Shambles

I use this mod to great effect. No idea if it's the one causing you concern...

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4060

Kindred

In a large forum, this could get to be a Completely unwieldy display and a hugely expensive query...

Not to mention that it won't actually work.   If I "mark all messages as read" then the system thinks that I have read everything and I would be reported as having read the message, even though I never even looked at it.
And the reverse is true... if I mark messages as unread, then I would not be listed, even if I have read the topic.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shawnb61

I would be concerned that guest stats would be distorted/randomized by crawlers.   

"Viewed" is pretty sketchy...  They may have clicked on it but found themselves disinterested when they got there.   Participation via posting is the best indicator of real interest.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

aegersz

*ponders the replies*

thanks for your input
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: