News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Limit in post length?

Started by SMiFFER, May 21, 2018, 02:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

I have configured in
    Administration Center »
    Posts and Topics »
    Post Settings
that the maximum size of posts shall be unlimited by setting Maximum allowed post size to 0.

However, I encountered that some (admittably very long) posts are suddenly cut off without any notification.

I just ran a test on this and then copied the "rest" to notepad ++,
it indicates that posts are cut off after
57585 bytes / 715 lines

You about it?

Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

GigaWatt

Try setting it to a very high limited value, say 500000 characters.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

SMiFFER

No. My forum uses UTF-8 already.

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 21, 2018, 04:50:28 AM
Try setting it to a very high limited value, say 500000 characters.

What would that give? I have set it to use 0 limit, i.e. unlimited.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Illori

0 is not always unlimited. you should set it to a real value.

also does it see to cut off at a special character or just a random location? even if you believe your forum is utf-8 it may not actually be.

SMiFFER

No special characters used in that post.

The post cuts of right in the middle of a simple name: Her-man.

Illori

that is a special character, if the post was made in word first that would be the issue. double check the UTF-8 as suggested above.

GigaWatt

Quote from: SMiFFER on May 21, 2018, 05:17:48 AM
What would that give? I have set it to use 0 limit, i.e. unlimited.

Maybe it's some sort of a bug or a server/script issue. It has to have some value, otherwise, it sets the minimum value (whatever that might be). Setting it really high will ensure that you don't have your posts cut after a certain amount of characters. For example, I've set the value to 100000 characters on my forum.

EDIT: Just read this.

Quote from: SMiFFER on May 21, 2018, 06:19:00 AM
The post cuts of right in the middle of a simple name: Her-man.

Illori might be right. Open the database in phpMyAdmin and see if the tables are set to UTF-8. What the forum script reports and how the database is actually configured are 2 different things.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

shawnb61

I believe the standard 'body' field in the messages table is of type TEXT, which stores 65535 characters.

Some feel this is too restrictive and have changed that column to MEDIUMTEXT, which is 16M characters.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kindred

exactly what Shawn has said...   regardless of your "no limit" in the CODE, the database field has a hard limit.   IMO, changing that is just asking for issues.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SMiFFER

Quote from: Illori on May 21, 2018, 06:27:09 AM
that is a special character

Oh no, it is of course not! You guys crack me, you manage to misinterpretate everything I write :(

Try to read that in the context/sense of the argument please!
I only and simply wrote Her-man to SHOW BY EXAMPLE where it is split/is cut off
Herman is split after Her
Of course "-" should only be the marker - it is NOT USED in the mail itself.
Is that now better? Sorry for not making that clear enough, I thought that would be only logic!
So PLEASE do not use this one letter for misleading/wrong/wild assumptions!

SORRY
It is impossible for me in a foreign language to take care of all possible ways to possibly misunderstand my words.

This wrong assumption aside and the thread totally derailed because of that, where can I look now?

I think I set it to 100000 bytes for a test.

Someone delete this thread or the wrong-based posts, it is completely in the wrong road here.

SMiFFER

Quote from: Illori on May 21, 2018, 06:27:09 AM
that is a special character, if the post was made in word first that would be the issue.
No. -> Explained above.
No. -> Not made in word.

SMiFFER

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 21, 2018, 09:37:04 AM
I believe the standard 'body' field in the messages table is of type TEXT, which stores 65535 characters.

Some feel this is too restrictive and have changed that column to MEDIUMTEXT, which is 16M characters.
Quote from: Kindred on May 21, 2018, 11:04:19 AM
exactly what Shawn has said...   regardless of your "no limit" in the CODE, the database field has a hard limit.   IMO, changing that is just asking for issues.

OK, will set the value to 100000 characters and report in then.

SMiFFER

Step1:
Confirmed I am running UTF8.

phpMyAdmin reports:
MySQL-Character-Set: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Illori

did you check each table? in the table each column has to be UTF-8 as well.

SMiFFER

Yes I did, but that's beside the point because your assumption was wrong - have you read why?

Step2:

Set "Maximum allowed post size"= 100000  characters
Repost the long post in question now...

WORKS! The long post is no longer broken off!

So "0" is not really "0 for no max."!
That is a bug!

GigaWatt

Quote from: SMiFFER on May 22, 2018, 03:54:02 PM
So "0" is not really "0 for no max."!
That is a bug!

It might also be a server side "bug". And it's probably not a bug, it's probably a setting.

Just set it real high. How many members will post posts bigger than 100000 characters, I mean... come on ::) :D.

shawnb61

Were you able to do a 100k character post in a TEXT field?   I'm confused...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SMiFFER

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 22, 2018, 09:31:46 PM
Were you able to do a 100k character post in a TEXT field?   I'm confused...

Then please read:
I wrote that I was now able to post that initially described post - and now it is NOT cut off and appears completely.

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 22, 2018, 07:16:10 PM
It might also be a server side "bug". And it's probably not a bug, it's probably a setting.

Just set it real high. How many members will post posts bigger than 100000 characters, I mean... come on ::) :D.

That is not my point.
My point is that this is either a bug or the documentation about "Maximum allowed post size" is wrong.

Reason:
It says you can set "0 for no max.", i.e. no limit in post byte length

But that does obviously not work ->>>> posts are cut off at x bytes and the "no-limit-setting" is obviously completely ignored.
And that is a bug!

GigaWatt

I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say.

Let's say you've got some server setup and you set the max post size to 0. How that particular server setup will interpret the max value (0) is not up to the script, it's up to the server. The server processes and interprets what the script tells it to, but how the server setup will interpret that value... that's not up to the script. In 90% of the cases, and by standard, that value should mean "post size has no limit", but what if by some chance, this particular server setup interprets that value as "if post size has no limit, I'll give it some predefined value that I have stored somewhere that's supposed to be the default value".

Get it ;). That's why it's better to have a really high value set up instead of a "no limit" value. There is no such thing as "no limit"... at least not with computers. Everything has to end somewhere. You can't store infinite values in real world (finite) scenarios ;). The "no limit" setting is... well, it should be a setting that tells the server "use your own max value, I'm not limiting you", but as I said, how the server interprets that value... that's not up to the script.

Advertisement: