News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to prevent forum spam?

Started by snifferdog, May 21, 2018, 09:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snifferdog

I'd be interested to know how people tackle this.  I've got CAPTCHA and 'questions' set up on my forum but that doesn't seem to stop the bots.  I've also enabled CAPTCHA for the first couple of posts by new users but they've found their way past that too.  There has to be a better way, and I'm hoping that people out there who know how to deal with these pests are willing to share.  Thanks.

[Edit]

Hmmm, awaiting moderation, I think I have my answer and found some helpful information here:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=453907.0

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

delta5

You need the stopforumspam.com mod. It compares anything trying to register against a spammer database. I'm using this myself and I have zero spam problems so far. It is available in the modifications section here to download.

Steve

Actually, he doesn't NEED it, though it will do the job. There are a number of ways to prevent forum spam and my personal favorite is at the link GigaWatt posted ...
DO NOT pm me for support!

a10

That question system thankfully still 100% good here after all these years. Did a test some time ago, disabled the questions for a day, got hundreds of new 'members'. Cleaned up (admin approval was enabled) and re-enabled the questions, immediate peace again :O)

Stopforumspam (or similar), will take care of 'human bots' if encountering any of these, but personally am only getting 2 or 3 a year, immediately annihilated by moderators so no problem. But if ever seeing any big 'human' increase, would add stopforumspam.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

aegersz

i don't get any spammers anymore but that could be just due to my banning them and deleting their posts OR because i get about only 20 members using my site a day. Still have lots of bots and they seem to like my site.

my forum is for people that want to share drug information, wisdom and discriminatory data.

There are so many huge drug Harm Reduction and Getting Bang for Buck sites so i can't really compete with them.

BUT i do offer Neurology (+AI) and Psychology boards (and other cool stuff like highly restricted drug synthesis information to members) and even an in-House Music board ... for Deep Learners.

Javascript is used extensively so just be aware of that.

all bots and spiders are welcome AND i have no spamware.

just unlucky, i guess so feel free to join up of you want to help a friend/fiend/fried (or) family member.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

GigaWatt

I can guarantee you, the "a10 method" works 100% against bots ;). I've got captcha disabled and only 1 question, no CloudFlare or SSL... haven't had a bot register since I implemented the 20 questions using those guidelines ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: