News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cache and white screen of death

Started by proo, May 21, 2018, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proo

Hi there.

I have a problem that keeps coming up too often. I get the white screen every now and then.
When i initially encountered this problem, a couple of years ago, i read somewhere (unfortunately i can not find that topic now) that maybe it was the cache and that was correct.

So what i do, is i empty the cache folder via ftp and the forum is back on.

But sooner or later i have to do it again.
My forum is relatively small and not too busy.

Is there any long term solution for this problem?

Kindred

Well, you have to figure out what is CAUSING the WSoD...  look in your SERVER error logs.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: proo on May 21, 2018, 10:00:01 AM
My forum is relatively small and not too busy.

If it's a small forum, disable cache, see if that does the trick. I got it disabled on my forum and, as yours, mine is also a small one and not too busy.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

proo

Thanks, i will try disabling cache and wait.

I'm not able now to see the particular error in server's error log, because it just appears the last 300, even minor ones, so i need to do it the exact time that the wsod occurs  ???

GigaWatt

Disable caching, let a week or two pass, if nothing happens, (probably) problem solved ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

proo

I havent disabled caching yet so today again (3 days later) i got again the wsod.

The weird thing is that at the server log nothing appears as an error log.

The file that causes the wsod is a data_efdff-etc-etc-...-SMF-modSettings.php file  ???

I have disabled cache now.

GigaWatt

It may be related to a mod...

Let's see if turning off caching helps ;).

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This doc may be of use, specially if you are unable to catch the error with the logs available to you.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_the_white_screen_of_death_means
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

Hmmm... some useful tips and code snippets, thanks ;).

proo

After a sufficient time period  ::)  i would like to share with you that disabling the cache did the trick.

Marking this as solved.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The cache itself is not the cause though, something else is amiss if it does that.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

proo

If its mod related i haven't found it  :-[
I've tried all the recommendations above but no luck.
It never occurred again since i disabled the cache.

Arantor

Yes, the issue is that one of the cache files is corrupted. But the only known causes of that were fixed years ago, so we thought, in 2.0.6 or 2.0.7...

Might be nice if you could turn the file cache on, let it break, then attach the relevant file here so we can look why it breaks...

proo

Cool, i'll do that mate.
Despite the fact that the wsod brings me nightmares  :P

Arantor

Thanks, I'd appreciate it so we can fix it properly :)

proo

And its down...

It took my Forum a couple of weeks but it finally crashed 2 times in 2 days.
Looking at the server's error log i can see that the last entry is on July.
I deleted this form the cashe folder and the forum is back on: data_81b6bed81b368aa809a7805b576a724c-SMF-modSettings.php

Any suggestions?

Arantor

Yes, attach the file here before you deleted it so whatever the root cause is can be fixed...

proo

Arantor

Thanks for attaching!

So it looks like a variant of the original bug that I thought I'd fixed all those years ago. Though why it's failing there, that's another story entirely.

I'll be able to do more when I'm not on mobile but early indications are that it's a file write boundary bug. Which shouldn't be a thing but apparently still is.

Can you also attach your Sources/Load.php file please?

proo

Thanks for having a look at it Arantor.

Here is the Load file.

Advertisement: