News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problems installing on local server under EasyPHP

Started by QScotland, May 22, 2018, 04:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QScotland

Are there any issues with installing Simple Machines on a local server? I am trying to install it on a stand-alone development machine, running under EasyPHP. (This is just for testing purposes.)

I have successfully unzipped the the files and moved them to a suitable directory. I then ran install.php.

The first problem was that it warned me that my PHP version did not meet SMF's minimum installation requirements. But my PHP version is 5.2.8. According to the SMF Readme, the minimum required is 5.2.0. I decided to ignore the warning.

It then presented me with a screen which asked for my database settings. That was fine.

But when I tried to go to the next step, it gave me fatal error:

Function name must be a string in <mysite>\forum\install.php on line 843

Can anyone throw any light on this? I have read the documentations and searched this forum, but I can't see what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

d3vcho

I assume you're trying to install the latest 2.0.x version (2.0.15). If you go to Requirements and Recommendations, you can see:

QuoteVersions of SMF from 2.0.14 onwards require PHP 5.4 or higher. If you use PHP 5.3 or lower is necessary to use SMF 2.0.13 or lower.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

QScotland

Thank you for the very fast reply. You were right. I had downloaded 2.0.15, and I did miss the note about needing the ealier version. I have now downloaded 2.0.13, and will see where that leads.

Mike

QScotland

Just to finish off this thread: I've now installed 2.0.13. The install went smoothly, and I can now see my forum. Thanks again for your help. No doubt I'll have more questions as I go along.

d3vcho

I'm glad this got solved. Just to note, I guess that you're using SMF for testing purposes right now in your local machine. If you happen to launch a live forum, it's recommended to use the latest version available (2.0.15).
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

shawnb61

I use EasyPHP for my local test server and appreciate its simplicity. 

I would suggest getting a more recent version of EasyPHP, to get you on a more recent version of php.   The latest free download (17.x) supports php 5.6 thru 7.2.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

QScotland

Thanks for the tip, Shawn. I rerally must get round to upgrading my EasyPHP (which I have never done in the several years since I installed it).

Mike

QScotland

Quote from: d3vcho(void) on May 22, 2018, 11:07:28 AM
If you happen to launch a live forum, it's recommended to use the latest version available (2.0.15).

Yes, I'm definitely going to do that. Thanks.

Mike

Advertisement: