News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Hiding some of the BBC icons - but not all

Started by QScotland, May 23, 2018, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QScotland

First, my apologies if I am posting this in the wrong section.

I am currently using 2.0.13 for testing and learning, but will upgrade to the latest version when going live.

What I would like to do is to get rid of most - but not all - of the BBC icons in the post editing window. I'm worried that my users will be a bit intimidated by the large number of options available. I would prefer to just show the basic functions, such as Bold, Italic, Font Face, Font Size, etc.

Is this at all possible? If so, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sir Osis of Liver

Bulletin Board Code Settings are in Admin -> Posts and Topics.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

QScotland

Thanks, Sir Osis. Another helpful reply.

I've now slimmed down the BBC icons, and it looks much better. But I've still got one small problem. I'd like to get rid of the "Toggle View" icon (the one that switches between WYSIWYG and "reveal codes"). I'm worried that some of my users will hit it accidentally, not realise what they've done, and wonder what those cryptic codes mean.

I see that I can completely disable  WYSIWYG, and that will get rid of the above-mentioned icon. But is there any way to retain WYSIWYG but to prevent the view being toggled.

Thanks in advance for your continued help.

Mike

Illori

i would really not recommend doing that as the WYSIWYG editor is very much broken.

QScotland

Quote from: Illori on May 23, 2018, 03:35:42 PM
i would really not recommend doing that as the WYSIWYG editor is very much broken.

Ah, that's a pity. I really wanted to let users format their text with bold, italic, etc., but I know there are some of them who won't understand it when they see the likes of [b] ..... [/b] and [i] ... [/i]  in their posts.

I see that there will be a new WYSIWYG editor in 2.1. I'll have to decide whether to wait for that to be released or risk using a beta for my live site.

Thanks for your reply, Illori.

Mike

GigaWatt

You could explain what BBCode is in a topic, post the link as news or in the Newbies section. If anyone asks how to change size of font, bold, italic, etc., point them to the topic explaining what BBCode is ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 24, 2018, 11:11:07 AM
You could explain what BBCode is in a topic, post the link as news or in the Newbies section. If anyone asks how to change size of font, bold, italic, etc., point them to the topic explaining what BBCode is ;).
For examples, or to just link to - we have a few wiki pages too. :)

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Bulletin_board_code
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Basic_bulletin_board_codes
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Alphabetical_list_of_all_bulletin_board_codes
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

For English speaking forums and members, yeah, links to the SMF wiki will also do ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

QScotland

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll give it some thought.

Mike

Advertisement: