News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Subs-Post.php error

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, May 23, 2018, 10:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Believe this has been reported elsewhere, did a clean 2.0.15 install for old forum, was running without errors, today he starts getting these when trying to post or pm -

http://www.domain.net/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send2
Database Error: Incorrect string value: '\x92m ask...' for column 'body' at row 1
File: /home/illinina/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1141

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

Most of the db tables are latin1_swedish_ci, some are utf8_general_ci, and I have '$db_character_set = 'utf8';' in Settings.php.  Apparently the db was converted at some point, but someone restored tables from a backup, or something else to mess it up.  There've been several people working on this forum before they came back to me, no way to know what was done.  I'll use pma to convert everything to utf-8, see what happens.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

Yeah always make sure the collation matches for all tables
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

PMA just changed overall collation, tables remained the same.  Admin utf-8 conversion would not run until I removed fulltext search index, now all tabes are utf-8 but it won't let me create another fulltext index.  Trying to create a large custom index, but it keeps crapping out and has to be manually resumed.  Dropped backup tables, but it's still a large db.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

SOoL:

This utility may help you figure out if everything is UTF8 as expected:
   https://github.com/sbulen/sjrbTools/blob/master/SMF_UTF8_Diag.php

I'm assuming your index restart issues are due to a time limit being exceeded?  What is the exact message?

If the issue is time limit related, you may want to check out the function CreateMessageIndex() in ManageSearch.php.  There are 2 parameters in there that may be worth experimenting with:
- $messages_per_batch  (try reduction)
- @set_time_limit (try increasing)

The fact that you are exceeding the time limit may mean that the set_time_limit is failing (maybe prohibited on your host).  If so, you may need to reduce your $messages_per_batch a lot. 

Hope this helps,
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Chen Zhen

For large forums it is better to split the db transfer by three.
Do one transfer of just the messages table, then do 1 transfer of just the members table & then do all the other tables (minus the two you already did).
The messages table can still give problems on its own if it is really large.

You also likely need to increase some limits within your php.ini file.
upload_max_filesize = 128M
post_max_size = 64M
max_execution_time = 300

This info may also be of interest regarding your database changes: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-unicode-utf8mb4.html

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

shawnb61

This isn't a transfer - he's trying to rebuild the index and it's pooping out.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Chen Zhen

Ok I suppose I missed that because it's mentioned in the middle of talk about database issues.

Trying to create a large custom index, but it keeps crapping out and has to be manually resumed.

In that case download the file via your FTP platform, edit and save it in a proper editor locally & then upload the file anew using the FTP platform.
My preferred FTP platform: http://www.wftpserver.com/download/ftprush.exe

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Sir Osis of Liver

It's giving me this in Admin -> Search Method -

Index: cannot be created because the max message length is above 65,535 or table type is not MyISAM

Was able to create large custom index, took almost two hours due to server timeouts.  All tables are utf-8, no errors since last night.  Will see what happens.

- R. Waters

Chen Zhen

If you do a search on SMF that has been brought up before.
I'm not sure if it's relevant to your problem:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=50893.0

.. well test things out & hopefully nothing it corrupted after whatever changes you applied.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Sir Osis of Liver

Error log is clean since last night, will let it run with custom index until something bad happens.

- R. Waters

mousetemple

I seem to be having a similar error.
All the tables in my database are utf8-general-ci, but the database itself says it is latin-swedish-ci.   The database engine interface claims to be utf8-general-ci.   Things were working fine, and suddenly can't post to certain topics with a variety of collation related errors.      Any advice would really help  Thanks

SMF 2.0.15

Sir Osis of Liver

You should start a new topic.  Which problem are you having?

- R. Waters

Advertisement: