Deleted a fellow admin's account on accident, can this be fixed?

Started by Eagle31, June 04, 2018, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagle31

Reattribute guest user. Where would I do this at ? On the server side or in SMF

Illori

since you are using SMF 1.1.* you would to do it via queries in phpmyadmin or similar interface to the database.

Eagle31

Could it be be done more easily if I was to up grade the software ?

Sir Osis of Liver

That's an interesting idea, can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.  I'd leave the production forum as is, set up a clone, upgrade to 2.0.15 and try it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

yes. it is a standardized function in 2.0.x

besides, 1.1.x is at end of life and you should upgrade anyway for security reasons, if nothing else
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dav999

If you want to do this silently (you mentioned avoiding drama) then it might be good to note that creating a new account and re-attributing posts won't go without leaving lots of clues that something was "tampered" with, including the user's password not working anymore, PMs being deleted, IDs being in a strange order, etc. So, restoring the backup would be the cleanest option.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, this would be the safest and cleanest option.
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 04, 2018, 11:29:19 PM
Ok, if you can I would suggest creating a new database and importing the backup in it. Then using repair_settings change the forum to use that new database, keeping the old one as a backup in case the dump wasn't perfect.
To see if everything got imported OK, you probably only need to see if your oldest and latest topics are intact and working correctly.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Eagle31

Quote from: Dav999 on June 06, 2018, 03:28:52 PM
If you want to do this silently (you mentioned avoiding drama) then it might be good to note that creating a new account and re-attributing posts won't go without leaving lots of clues that something was "tampered" with, including the user's password not working anymore, PMs being deleted, IDs being in a strange order, etc. So, restoring the backup would be the cleanest option.
IAgree, ok so I  have the backup file and extracted it as it was in GZ format. what extracted was one file that is a SQL file. Is this normal ? If it is where would I go on the server within the SMF installation and overwrite the existing file ? I DO have a test forum with the same version of SMF 1.1.21 to try it out.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, it's normal to be an sql file. You cannot use it within SMF though. You will need to import it to a database.
How do I restore a database backup?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: