News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is that possible to block some of site url inside the smf

Started by danster, May 27, 2018, 06:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danster

Hello..

I using smf ver. 2.0.15 and I just asking is there a way to block some of site urls inside the forum. I mean users put various site links for sharing files and images ext.. they are using various site links and paste inside the message box..

so I'm asking is there a way to control which site are is except and others site block for users I mean some of site we need to block and cannot allow to paste in side the message box.. when they are posting a site url link which we blocked error message will showing for them..

pls tell me is there a way to do that

Thank you

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could use word censoring to turn a "bad url" in to a visible notice.
Then go through the theme settings for all themes you use, and uncheck "Allow users to turn off word censoring"
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

a10

... and then anybody could use tinyurl, goo.gl etc etc etc, so need to block a ton of these as well :O)
Quite some work.

If the relevant links are to offensive\illegal etc content, then it's the forum user agreement that should be the law, troublesome members not respecting it 'chastised' one way or the other.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

You could use coding for the links if you're thinking of members hiding something in the URL tag. That's what I use on my forum. Every link has to be in a code tag, so that the link is transparent. Yeah, it's kind of a hassle with mobile devices these days, but I don't see members complaining and most of them visit the forum from a "real" computer, so in my case, I decided to keep the "code all URLs" rule. The links are transparent so when visiting a site, the visitor knows exactly where he is going.

And if you were referring to "some members paste anything they come across", well... other members could always report the post and/or poster that posted that URL, administration can take over from there.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Dav999

Quote from: a10 on May 27, 2018, 09:38:32 AM
... and then anybody could use tinyurl, goo.gl etc etc etc, so need to block a ton of these as well :O)
Quite some work.
I've seen places that simply ban the use of link shorteners altogether, since you pretty much have to click it to know where it leads, and moderators don't want to have to check out every short link.

GigaWatt

On large forums with over 50, 60 posts a day, yeah, it's kind of a hassle.

@danster: It may be a good idea to turn on word censoring for the URL shorteners. That way, members are indirectly told that "it might not be such a good idea to use URL shorteners"... if they have to retype letters for the URL, eventually most of them will give up. For the stubborn ones... well, even on large forums there shouldn't be more than 10 of them ;). You could write them a PM saying "I though an indirect approach was a better solution, but some of you just don't get it. Please stop using URL shortners for your URLs"... or something similar :).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: