News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Deny Post Count Permissions

Started by James Gryphon, May 30, 2018, 07:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

This is a bit convoluted and not well-written, so please bear with me.

On a forum that I'm helping set up, they have a specific member who they want to restrict board visibility to. The trouble is that that visibility is granted through post count. After some consideration and looking at the mods that fit into the area of denying visibility permissions (which are years out of date), I thought of doing a hack, to look for the place where the post count groups are assigned, and then write something in to specifically not assign him to any group higher than the default given to 0-post members.

Is there a better way that isn't too time-consuming to implement, and if not, where would I have to look for the postcount group attribution?

Illori

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3311

i think this may be your best option. create a secondary/additional group for this user assign it to him and deny access to that board.

James Gryphon

I did check into that one, along with Arantor's. Unfortunately, in the former case, the deny permissions section doesn't even actually show up on the page anymore. Additionally, the last comment on it (dating back to 2014) suggests that a user couldn't get it to work as intended even back then. There might still be some functionality lurking in there, but I admit I'm not sure how much time I want to commit to figuring that out.

GigaWatt

Create a new member group, inherit permissions from post count based groups (except the one where new boards get unlocked by increasing the post count), change the primary member group of this particular member, modify the board settings so that this member group can't access or see this board.

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Illori

you need to enable the deny permissions first, by default what the op wants cannot be done. just by not checking the board will not deny the access. that mod has to be used.

Advertisement: