Migrated from HG server to SH server. Big Problems!

Started by Big Gee, May 31, 2018, 12:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Gee

My hosts sent me here - I've just moved from HostGator to them (Smart Hosting) and their home directory path is different. We've tried your repair script to see if this fixes it, in fact it made matters worse on one site and throws up a different set of problems on the other

I have two SMF sites at different locations on the same server both addon domains under the primary domain for the account. One showed this error message:

and after installing the repair script I just get a blank white page in my browser.

On the second site, after the migration I got these error messages:

and after installing the repair script I get this message:

I can now no longer log-in on either site, so I'm unable to make any changes as admin.

The website addresses are: (site 1) https://www.gardenerschat-shed.net/forum/
And (site 2): https://jacothenorth.net/NewParty/MembersForum/

Site 1 also uses a .htaccess file in the main domain root directory to redirect to the forum which is one of it's sub directories. however that is not likely to cause a problem, which appears after landing on the forum's index page.

Any advice on how to move forward? Pretty desperate and bankrupt of ideas! Also panicking because these two sites don't belong to me - I just originally constructed and hosted them on my account on behalf of the site owners.

Many thanks in advance,

G.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Big Gee

Thanks for that advice.

However,  as I stated in my original post, I've already tried that, after executing repair_settings.php one site turned up with a blank white page, the other came up with extra problems.

Regards,

G.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The one with a blank page, is showing a http 500. Check your server's error log to see what is causing it.

What are the extra problems exactly with the other one? It seems to be password protected, so can't really see what is happening.
The theme directories can be fixed with the repair_settings.php
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Big Gee

Thanks Aleski.

I'll check out with my hosting company the cause of that http 500 error on the site with the white page.

The other site (sorry it is password protected but I can send you the access details by PM if you like) displays the following when I attempt to log-in as a member or as admin:

When I enter the site I'm prompted to log-in

After entering the Username & Password this message displayed:

Occasionally another message is displayed saying there have been too many attempts to log-in and a time interval should be left before trying again. However that message often gets displayed at the first attempt to log-in.

Thanks,

G.

Big Gee

Thanks Aleksi.

I've checked the error logs on the server, and have come up with this:

Quote[01-Jun-2018 13:04:26 Europe/London] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/xxxxxx/gardenerschat-shed.net/forum/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php:58
Stack trace:
#0 /home/xxxxxx/gardenerschat-shed.net/forum/Sources/Load.php(2688): smf_db_initiate('localhost', 'xxxxxx_GCSforum', 'xxxxxx_gwilym', 'xxxxxxxxx', 'smf_', Array)
#1 /home/xxxxxx/gardenerschat-shed.net/forum/index.php(72): loadDatabase()
#2 {main}
  thrown in /home/xxxxxx/gardenerschat-shed.net/forum/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 58

I've obviously anonymised the account name and password references with 'x's  for obvious security reasons before posting.

Can you make sense of it?

Before I implemented the repair tool the index page was rendering, but the content was mangled up. After using the repair tool I just get a blank page.

Any little help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks.

G.

Illori

you are not running 2.0.15 or you host is running php 7.0+ you either need to use the large upgrade package to get to 2.0.15 or ask your host to downgrade the php install so you can upgrade to 2.0.15.

Big Gee

Thank you very much Illori.

Where do I get the "large upgrade package to get to 2.0.15" and how do I install it if I can't get into the site? It seems a bit of a Catch 22. Or do I ask the my host to downgrade the PHP install first, do the upgrade, and then ask my host to move back to PHP 7?

You're quite right, the first site (gardenerschat-shed.net/forum), is indeed an ancient site that I believe used v 2x something, although I'm not sure off the top of my head. I guess it is many  versions back from 2.0.15. Would it upgrade without the upgrades in between? Or would it be possible to reinstall a new SMF package and link it to the old existing DB used for the original site - so that all the data is salvaged?

The second SMF site (https://jacothenorth.net/NewParty/MembersForum/) is running on 2.0.15, but the problem is a different one. I get this error message when attempting to log-in to both user and admin accounts:

Any help would be gratefully received.

G.

Illori

for that error you need to install https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4167 but that should not be required on the default theme, but try it anyway.

Big Gee

Thank you Illori,

I've downloaded the fix. Do these two files just need to be uploaded to the site's root directory and then the install20 file executed from a browser? There is no instructions for the use of this fix - as far as I can see.

Cheers,

Gwilym.

Big Gee

Regarding the other site (gardenerschat-shed.net/forum). I've just rolled back the PHP version to 5+ on the server.

I'm not sure if that's any progress. Since rolling back the PHP version, I no longer get a blank page on the GChShed site, just a blank page with this message in the top left hand corner:

Unable to load Themes/default/Errors.template.php!

I suppose it's better than just a blank screen, but not much use to me I'm afraid. Especially as after running the repair tool, all the paths should now be correct..

I need more of your expertise from you guys I think!

G.

GigaWatt

Try running repair_settings.php again and fix all of the paths and URLs.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Big Gee

Thanks GigaWatt -

Ran the 'repair tool' again.Exactly the same I fear. No change. I just get the error message in the top left hand side of a blank screen that reads:

"Unable to load Themes/default/Errors.template.php!"

G.

GigaWatt

Have you checked if Errors.template.php is actually present in Themes/default?

And how do you run the repair_settings.php tool? You know that you don't have to just run it, you have to configure the misconfigured settings and then hit the Apply (Save) button.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Big Gee

errors.template.php IS in Themes/default.

The repair tool was run in the browser. On the first view there were changes made (e.g. changes from http: to https: in the suggestedpaths. They were all changed. On the second and subsequent times the tool has been run ALL the paths were identical to the recomended links showing the paths.

I still have the same problem.

I downloaded  the 'fix' at  https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4167 that was suggested by Illori. The two files were extracted and uploaded to the forum's root directory.

I still have the problem.

Any other suggestions anyone?

G.

GigaWatt

It seems that the script can't find the default theme. Even though it is present in Themes directory, it's probably not defined as a theme in the database. Here's my report of repair_settings.php.

And here is yours.

The name of the default theme (Curve) must be misconfigured in the database. I've fixed it for now, changed the URL and paths of the misconfigured theme name (BrightForest, which should be SMF Default Theme - Curve) to the default directory (which in your case, was the same as the Bright Forest theme directory, mind the space between the two forests :D, BrightForest is not the same as Bright Forest), but you should really look into changing the settings in your database. I don't know if this could be done from the admin interface (haven't tried it).

Anyway, the forum is now accessible from the default theme, which in your case is called BrightForest ::) :D.

PS: Delete repair_settings.php when you're done editing your settings ;).

PPS: If you can't change the name of the theme from the admin panel, you probably only have to change BrightForest to SMF Default Theme - Curve in your database. Open up the database in phpMyAdmin, find the smf_themes table and change it to this value ;).

Quote from: Big Gee on June 01, 2018, 04:48:38 PM
I downloaded  the 'fix' at  https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4167 that was suggested by Illori. The two files were extracted and uploaded to the forum's root directory.

And you're not supposed to upload the package/mod archives and extract them in the root directory. The proper way to install packages/mods is through the package manager. Delete the archive and the extracted files from the root directory, they will probably only confuse you in the future... when you forget what it is that you did :D.

First, update your forum to 2.0.15 (I can see it's still on 2.0.10), then apply the fix, either manually or by installing the package/mod. If the mod doesn't work on your theme, you'll have to do the edits on your theme manually.

Kindred

Oh boy...   did he change the name of the default theme directory to something other than default?

That would cause major issues with a whole bunch of things.   Don't do that.
Change it back to default...  even if you patched things to work with the name BrightForest right now, there are a dozen other things that will not work correctly, if the directory name was changed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kindred on June 01, 2018, 07:29:54 PM
Oh boy...   did he change the name of the default theme directory to something other than default?

No, he changed the name of the theme from SMF Default Theme - Curve to BrightForest... maybe even the directory name in the database (I don't know, since I can't access the database, but I was hoping he left repair_settings.php in the forum root... and he did :D), since both BrightForest and Bright Forest had the same directory names ::) :). As it turns out, BrightForest was previously SMF Default Theme - Curve :D.

Quote from: Kindred on June 01, 2018, 07:29:54 PM
That would cause major issues with a whole bunch of things.   Don't do that.
Change it back to default...  even if you patched things to work with the name BrightForest right now, there are a dozen other things that will not work correctly, if the directory name was changed.

Yep, that's what I also recommended ;). It works for now, but it's an imperative that you change back the default settings for the default theme. Don't change anything related to Curve. The default theme is a failsafe. If nothing works, Cruve will at least load the forum so you can fix anything that might have went wrong ;).

Kindred

Also, the default theme directory is used for all template files which are not specifically defined/customized by other themes.

In short...   he did something that he should never have done, and, in the process completely broke the system
Слaва
Украинi

Big Gee

Guys, I can't thank you enough.

The Gardeners Chat Shed site is now working with the default theme and is operational, although it looks totally different from what it used to look with the BrightForest theme. Do you know what? It was a nice change anyway. Besides the BrightForest theme has not been updated by it's developer for use with more recent versions of SMF - hence the reason for the non upgrade from 2.0.10. So I'm not touching it until later - I've got a shedful of work sorting out niggles on the other sites, after the migration from one server to another (what a nightmare that's been). Not recommended if you want to keep your stress levels down! I was with Hostgator, but they wouldn't play nice, because they reckoned my account was too big to do a full cPanel back-up. Consequently each site (and there's a few dozen of them) had to be brought over individually, along with data bases, mail etc. THEN there's the job of sorting out the debris in the wake of the migration, made even more difficult as SSL is now active on the new server, it uses a later version of PHP and the MySQL databases are a later version, which do not take kindly to restoration from the older version on Hostgator's server - and the problems go on and on.

Now for that other forum site using SMF, where I can't log in (see the  screenshots above). Any ideas there? That one is REALLY getting me down, as I seem to be going round round in circles and up blind alleys. But at least there should be no theme problems there. It uses a directory username and password, but if you want to have a peek at it I can set up a temporary user and password for the directory in cPanel for you. I don't want to post the info publicly on here, but if you PM me or send an e-mail to admin'at'sccambria.com then I'll mail back the details.

THANKS again - the weight is coming off my mind one problem at a time! You have been invaluable.

G.

Advertisement: