News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Migrated from HG server to SH server. Big Problems!

Started by Big Gee, May 31, 2018, 12:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Gee

Woo-hoo SUCCESS!

Got the original on it's feet, and it worked perfectly, then moved the whole site to a different domain, and after the services of the 'repair tool' that's also working like jam!

Tomorrow I hope to do the same with the second site. Fingers crossed that will also go smoothly. If not, I might come knocking again - but I hope not, much as I enjoy your company!

Thank you guys so much. You all deserve a medal.

G.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sounds good! :) Good luck on the other site too then.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Big Gee

GigaWatt

Glad you had it sorted out ;).

Post about the other site too ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Any progress on this? :) Did you run in to any trouble?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Big Gee

Unfortunately no Aleksi, it's been on the back burner. I've had a bout of ill health that kept me out of circulation for a while, and now I'm slowly ploughing through the backlog as a consequence. The site in question is working fine, it just needs upgrading and tidying up a little. I'll get around to it one of these days. I haven't forgotten my promise to keep you updated. It's the least I can do after all the help you and the others provided.

One little query, and it's not that important, the first site that I moved to a different domain and upgraded is working fine, but I notice that when posts are made on it, the line breaks don't seem to work. If the post is first typed in Note++ or similar and then copied to the editor in the SMF site then the line breaks appear OK. I'm now using the 'brfinale' theme on there if that's a clue.

Thanks again,

G.

GigaWatt

Does this also happen with the default theme? Try typing a post in the default theme, see if the same thing happens ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Big Gee

No it seemed to be OK in the default theme. I'm wondering if it's my end, because I notice others are posting on there and their line breaks appear to be correct. I'm sure someone would have bleated if they had a problem, and I doubt if the majority would have the gumption to think of copying text from an outside text editor to step around the problem!

The only difference would be that I'm always logged in as an administrator, all the others would be regular members.

G.

GigaWatt

The post template is the same for everyone, except that it checks if you're admin or a mod and loads additional options (based on permissions, if you're a mod) if you are.

And you're right, it might be just on your end. Try logging in and out and clearing browser cache. If that doesn't help, try changing browsers, see if the same thing happens in another browser.

Big Gee

Thanks GigaWatt - I'll try that. It's not a huge problem, just an annoyance. I'm pretty sure it's a browser related problem at my end.

G.

Big Gee

I promised I'd report back on the last SMF forum that I had to sort out - so here I am! I finally got it sorted, and it's now working fine, and upgraded to 2.0.15. I'm now able to run on PHP 7.1 as well (the earlier version would only run on PHP 5.6.

It might be cheating a bit to inject another problem into this thread, but I have another problem with another SMF forum that I originally thought was OK. Apparently it's not.

It's a log-in problem again!

Here's a screen-shot that explains it:

I hadn't actually noticed the problem, until I got a few forum members contacting me to say the couldn't log-in. I finally discovered that only the log-in tab on the menu bar works. The other one comes up with the error message.

Any ideas my friends?

Arantor

2.0.14 introduced a new security measure that your theme doesn't have.

Check the wiki for "2.0.14 login issues"

GigaWatt

You probably haven't implemented the 2.0.14+ login fix on the theme you're using. See if the fix is implemented on your current theme, if it's not, implement it and see if the problem is fixed ;).

Big Gee

Thanks Arantor OK - fair comment. The original version was 2.0.14, hoever the forum software has now been upgraded to 2.0.15. Does it use the same 'security features'? And if so, then I presume that the theme I'm using would have issues with 2.0.15 also?

Arantor

Yes, the theme was made before 2.0.14, so it will need to be fixed one way or another for 2.0.15.

Big Gee

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 04, 2018, 11:39:58 AM
You probably haven't implemented the 2.0.14+ login fix on the theme you're using. See if the fix is implemented on your current theme, if it's not, implement it and see if the problem is fixed ;).

Thanks for that GigaWatt.

The online manual says:

Quote. . . . If your custom theme has a login form, such as in index.template.php, boardindex.template.php or login.template.php, you will need to modify the theme to allow the login function to work correctly. In order to modify the theme, add the following code along with the other "hidden" input types, or anywhere before the closing </form> tag in the login form.

<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

But which file? You wouldn't happen to know would you for the "brfinale" theme?

It also says in the manual:

QuoteNote that, in addition, one of our former developers has created a mod/patch that will attempt to perform this global patch automatically.

A patch would be an easier solution, but where is this patch hidding?

Gary

You'd need to add that code into index.template.php.

The patch may be easier: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4167 but it may still fail on your theme.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Big Gee

FIXED - another one bites the dust. Thanks for the pointers guys. The file was "index.template.php" in the custom theme and inserting that line of code before the /Form tag did the trick. Thank you also Gazmanafc for the link to the patch. I'll kep it safe for future use!

Now fancy another poser? I've just this minute discovered on the first SMF site that I've just upgraded and told you about has a little problem.

When I tested the 'Contact' form I get this error. Any ideas?

The e-mail address is fine. It's the form having a neurotic fit!

GigaWatt

Hmmm... try entering another email address without a dash.

Which mod are you using for the contact page?

Just tried entering the email in the pic on my forum's contact form, the email was sent, I received it, no problem.

Advertisement: