News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

GDPR Helper

Started by vbgamer45, June 02, 2018, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Change the style, presumably in the privacy policy? Yes, that will be deliberate because there's no way to know if a given change is a meaningful change. (Even a comma can legally alter the meaning)

Hero2019

kruimeltje

Thanks for this mod!

I use the mod with SMF 2.1 RC1.

Is it possible to change the location of the 'Privacy Policy' link in the footer?
It is now placed under the SMF copyright, but I would like to put the link right next to it.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

vbgamer45

You could just have to change the edit to where it occurs. This one links hooks into the copyright line.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

kruimeltje

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 08, 2019, 03:38:59 PM
You could just have to change the edit to where it occurs. This one links hooks into the copyright line.
And where / how can I edit that?

vbgamer45

The edit is in sources/querystring.php You can try editing your index.template.php in your themes/default folder instead.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

kruimeltje

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 10, 2019, 11:36:25 AM
The edit is in sources/querystring.php You can try editing your index.template.php in your themes/default folder instead.

Thanks!
I deleted the <br/> in querystring.php and now the link is next to the copyright.  :D

@rjen

Dutch translation attached...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

m4z

2.1rc2 with PostgreSQL can't be installed, because AFAICT this is MySQL syntax:

ERROR: syntax error at or near "IGNORE"
LINE 1: INSERT IGNORE INTO betasmf_settings
^
Datei: /home/beta-smf/public_html/Packages/temp/gpdrinstall2.php
Zeile: 40

The dependency on MySQL isn't documented anywhere.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Arantor

To be fair, most plugins have never been tested on anything other than MySQL.

vbgamer45

I haven't tested any of my mods on PostgreSQL and at this point due to very few requests I can only think of about 2 or three times in 10 years not planned.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

m4z

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 18, 2019, 11:19:49 AM
I haven't tested any of my mods on PostgreSQL and at this point due to very few requests I can only think of about 2 or three times in 10 years not planned.

That's disappointing since SMF officially supports it, but it's of course your choice. Could you add that info to the Mod site, though?
--Homer Simpson

Arantor

You best go ask a lot of mod authors, because PGSQL in 2.0 is firmly a second class citizen, and it's still not really a first class citizen in 2.1 even if one of the devs has ploughed a lot of time trying to redress that balance.

vbgamer45

done updated the modsite stats mysql for 2.0+ versions

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

m4z

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 18, 2019, 11:32:48 AM
done updated the modsite stats mysql for 2.0+ versions

Thanks!

Quote from: Arantor on April 18, 2019, 11:30:44 AM
You best go ask a lot of mod authors, because PGSQL in 2.0 is firmly a second class citizen, and it's still not really a first class citizen in 2.1 even if one of the devs has ploughed a lot of time trying to redress that balance.

I probably will, for all mods I'm trying to install. Anything more should probably be an official announcement to 2.1 mod authors.  ;)
--Homer Simpson

Arantor

Not really; the majority of 2.1 users are existing 2.0 users on MySQL...

m4z

Quote from: Arantor on April 18, 2019, 12:50:06 PM
Not really; the majority of 2.1 users are existing 2.0 users on MySQL...
Yeah, we all know the historical majority case is the only case that matters in everything IT. ::)
--Homer Simpson

Arantor

I'm sorry, I thought you would appreciate practical and realistic advice about the situation you have chosen to put yourself in. Best of luck to you.

m4z

Quote from: Arantor on April 19, 2019, 09:14:30 AM
I'm sorry, I thought you would appreciate practical and realistic advice about the situation you have chosen to put yourself in. Best of luck to you.

I understood that, but your last comments seemed to also suggest something similar to "it would not be a good idea to communicate the fact that SMF2.1 claims to support Postgres to the Mod developers (so they can document when they don't), or to communicate the fact that basically no Mod supports Postgres to the users; instead let every new user be frustrated when they finally find out this inside knowledge".

I'm new here; I went straight for 2.1rc2 and thought I had read nothing about prior versions and what they supported in contrast to 2.1, but in fact I read the 2.0 install recommendations, thinking that document applied to 2.1 (but it doesn't exist yet for 2.1). That 2.0(!) document states:

* One of the following databases must be installed:
   * MySQL 4.0.18 or higher (at least 4.1.0 would be better) and PHP MySQL client API 4.0.18 or higher.
   * PostgreSQL 8.0 or higher (standard_conforming_strings must be set to off, starting from PostgreSQL 9.1 default is on)
   * SQLite SQLite 2.x (SMF is not compatible with SQLite 3.x)
* The following are requirements for the database:
   * For a clean SMF installation, at least 2 MB of storage space in the database. Please note that this is only enough for the installation.
   * The database user must have at least the following privileges: SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, ALTER, and INDEX.
   * The database user must have the CREATE and DROP privileges during installation, conversion and some package installs.

So I assumed when SMF supports Postgres (and doesn't footnote this in any way), so do the mods. Or, if a mod doesn't, that this would be visible to potential users (and vbgamer45 seemed to agree). I never imagined most of the mods to not support Postgres in such a way, and that would be very helpful to know up front.

I haven't chosen to put myself into this situation. There was no info at all about these consequences. (As my forum is a staging instance, I might install MySQL alongside Postgres now, I have other services using Postgres.) This means unnecessary work for me. Hence, when you seemed to suggest the current situation need not be improved, the sarcasm.
--Homer Simpson

Arantor

In order for them to actually use Postgres, they have to do literally everything correctly; most mods do not (especially mods that came from 1.1.x), and since I think you're the fifth user I ever encountered using Postgres, you can imagine how well tested that functionality is.

2.1 is better; the core is better tested for Postgres than it used to be, but still the *vast* majority of mods have never been tested on Postgres and are unlikely to ever be - and the bugs that will be found are unlikely to be fixed.

Honestly it'd be quicker to outline what *does* work on Postgres rather than what doesn't since I'm certain there's more mods that won't work than that will.

I wasn't trying to suggest it need not be improved, merely that the reality of the situation largely ensures that it won't.

Advertisement: