Moving forums from one category to another

Started by njtweb, June 04, 2018, 05:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

I want to bulk move several forum to a completely different category. I realized after I made them that they need to be moved. I have 3 categories, Mid Eastern Atlantic, North Eastern Atlantic and South Eastern Atlantic. They need to be moved from mid east to North east.

Is there a way to bulk 301 redirect all of those URLs if I do move them?

Illori

in SMF terms, the whole site is the forum. can you clarify what you want moved? why do you want a redirect? in SMF if you move a board or topic it keeps the same id that it had before.

njtweb

Quote from: Illori on June 04, 2018, 05:27:53 PM
in SMF terms, the whole site is the forum. can you clarify what you want moved? why do you want a redirect? in SMF if you move a board or topic it keeps the same id that it had before.

As far as rank is concerned, my site hasn't been online for more than a month and a half. My concern is the URLs. I don't want to redirect any of them on the board as far as redirects are concerned. My concern is the established urls in google search results. Do they need to be 301'd so they don't get 404's when somebody clicks on them. I want to move them entirely from Mid east to North east because they're actually north eastern territory hockey leagues as in Northern New York into New England. It's two leagues, each their own forum with about 30 teams each, (child forums) underneath them. Both leagues have to be moved to North.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Moving a board from one category to another on the index should not change the board id or urls I think.

Try it out, create a new board with a test post in it - and move it around.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

njtweb

I'm just going to do it, the site is only a month and a half old. The URL's indexed in search engines will just have to be reindexed and re-created.

Steve

Marking solved then. If you have any other questions regarding this topic, by all means, mark this unsolved and let us know. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: