News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

paid subscription failure

Started by RFD, June 07, 2018, 06:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Interesting. I mean, wonder what did you and the OP do differently, or did something change in between.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

RFD

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 10, 2018, 05:37:41 PM
Hmm, well, the good news is I successfully added the subscription manually in ACP, it worked normally.  Bad news is, hadn't changed anything in database, so I'm not sure what went wrong.  id_member 15914 was already in id_group 9, the subscription group, but the sub was not in smf_log_subscribed.  Went to Admin -> Paid Subscriptions, clicked on Contributing Membership sub, did the Add New Subscriber, it was successful first try.  The sub now appears in smf_log_subscribed.  Only glitch was old_id_group was 9, because member was already in group 9, so when sub expires in a year, it would revert from id_group 9 to id_group 9, member would remain in subscription group indefinitely.  Changed old_id_group to 0, so he'll revert to regular member on expiration.

Never seen this before, best guess is IPN was screwed up, and it caused some unusual behavior when it posted to the forum.  Would be interested to know if it happens again.

thank you for the fix, much obliged.

this member needed classifieds access, so i had no choice but to change his primary group to the 'contributing membership' group - that was no glitch.  i just reverted it back to 'no primary membergroup', which is where it'll auto revert back to in a year (hopefully, if PS is still working as intended).

what did ya do to manually fix member 15914?  this gltich will more than likely happen again and i'll need to make the fix.

Sir Osis of Liver

Didn't actually fix anything, took a look in db and there was nothing in smf_log_subscribed for this member, so there wasn't anything that would prevent a manual sub.  Tried it and it worked, no idea why it didn't work for you.  Member was already in sub group 9, so when sub was created in smf_log_subscribed, old_id_group was same as new id_group, both were 9.  That would cause group to not revert back to regular member when sub expired, it would revert to 9, so I fixed it.  Manual sub should have worked for you.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

RFD

tried to manually add that member more than a few times and each time i got the message he already had a PS.  now that's scary weird.

Sir Osis of Liver

Only possibility that comes to mind, their may have been a glitch on PayPal's end, and the verification may have been delayed, but you would have seen a pending sub.  Member was already in sub group, there was nothing pending, nothing in _log_subscribed, and manual sub worked normally.  Unless you changed something trying to fix it, and were successful without realizing it was fixed.

- R. Waters

RFD

when i saw the completed  PP transaction (on the PP side) and never saw an SMF email that verified the member created a PS, i checked his profile.  no PS and therefore he was not given the "contributing member" membergroup access - he was still in the default membergroup.  when my attempts to include him in PS failed (SMF sez he's already in the PS), i manually gave him the "contributing member" access.   

Biology Forums

Before you jump to conclusions, I believe this is a problem from PayPal. I remember this used to happen to me when I used PayPal. Sometimes their servers (or yours) is down at a specific time when the end user is paying, thereby preventing the two from communicating. In addition, I don't think the paid subscription feature is designed to try again 3 times at least if something like this does occur.

RFD

Quote from: Study Force on June 13, 2018, 01:42:13 AM
Before you jump to conclusions, I believe this is a problem from PayPal. I remember this used to happen to me when I used PayPal. Sometimes their servers (or yours) is down at a specific time when the end user is paying, thereby preventing the two from communicating. In addition, I don't think the paid subscription feature is designed to try again 3 times at least if something like this does occur.

i agree.  it's a communication breakdown.  this problem happened sometime early in the morning and in checking it is entirely possible, if not likely, that the database might have been down during that communication period.  that happens, that's understandable, and that's ok.  what was ok was the failure for SMF to allow me to manually update the member's PS.  that the manual updating was allowed, eventually, is baffling. 

i don't mind that there was a problem - the frustrating part is that i couldn't fix it.

Biology Forums

That being said, you need a better solution.

When it comes to paying a strangers online (or anyone, really), people panic when they don't get what they want right away. I suggest you use a better subscription system moving forward. Too many PayPal complaints leads to unexplained bans and lose of profit.

RFD

Quote from: Study Force on June 13, 2018, 09:06:20 AM

When it comes to paying a strangers online (or anyone, really), people panic when they don't get what they want right away. I suggest you use a better subscription system moving forward. Too many PayPal complaints leads to unexplained bans and lose of profit.

great - i'm all ears, what's a better paid subscription service for my SMF customers?

Biology Forums

Quote from: RFD on June 13, 2018, 09:20:23 AM
Quote from: Study Force on June 13, 2018, 09:06:20 AM

great - i'm all ears, what's a better paid subscription service for my SMF customers?

Honestly there aren't too many alternatives other than https://www.smfhacks.com/smf-store.php. You could also modify SMF's version to use Stripe.com. Their system is superior to PayPal, I think.

RFD

smf-store would be worth my consideration if it was already configured for stripes.

Biology Forums

Quote from: RFD on June 13, 2018, 10:06:02 AM
smf-store would be worth my consideration if it was already configured for stripes.

Unfortunately, it's not configured to work with Stripe either. I had to pay a freelancer x amount of dollars to code it for me, then I ironed out the edges myself. The edge that it has over SMF's own subscription system is all the configurable features -- if you're into that. If you don't want those features, have someone from here reprogram what you currently have to work with Stripe.com.

Here's an idea of what the Store mod could look like: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=store (you'll need to register though) and here's what the purchase page looks like with Stripe.com: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=1 (click the Buy Now, button).

Sir Osis of Liver

There's nothing wrong with PayPal, they've been very reliable for all the years and on all the forums I've worked on that use Paid Subs.  They are the most widely used and recognized payment service, and seeing an unfamiliar service will put off a lot of subscribers.  Switching to a different gateway is difficult, SMF is designed to work only with PayPal, and attempts to use a different service have been mostly unsuccessful.  It also precludes getting any further support for Paid Subs here, because modifications to core code are required.  This was an unusual situation, I'd have to see it again to investigate any further, but at this point it does appear to be a one-off.  Wouldn't be concerned about it if doesn't happen again.

- R. Waters

Biology Forums

@Sir Osis of Liver

If you use it for a high volume of sales, you'll experience what the OP is experiencing, I'm hands-down positive of this. Yes, SMF comes stock with PayPal, but Stripe.com's technology is far superior than it, at least from my experience. The only issue might be, like you mentioned, it's slightly an unfamiliar service. That, however, doesn't stop customers from purchasing.

Advertisement: