News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

URL problems

Started by Noidea2, June 06, 2018, 06:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noidea2

So I know I'm a moron and I'm also new here. Please go gentle.
This is my first foray into hosting a forum and I'm going by feel. I'm not technical but I'd got it all set up and we were nearly ready to go. Then I did the moron thing.
I was in the admin area looking for settings to help with privacy and i came across the Forum URL text box. Now I have never been happy with the subdomain 1&1 let me create and I thought I wonder if I can change that here. So I took a screen shot of what it was naively thinking if it didn't work I could just change it back. But of course now I can't even log into the forum as all I get on with the original domain or my stupidly let's see what this button does domain is an oops this page doesn't exist message.
Am I done for? Do I need to delete the whole thing and start again? How can I rectify it when I can't even log in to get to the admin settings?
As I say I'm not tech minded so any database delving and technical talk is I'm afraid beyond me.
I hope someone can else but appreciate I may have to scan all my work over the last week and start again... :(

SychO

Hello,

What is your forum's actual URL ?
What did you change it to ?
Do you have FTP Access to your Forum ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Kindred

Get and use repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

What is repair_settings.php?

And just in case you don't have an FTP client or haven't set up an FTP account on your host, you can upload the file via your host's file manager ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Why are you in a subdomain?  Even their basic account includes free domain.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Noidea2

Hello, thank u for the replies and not pointing out my complete idiocy  :-[
The actual url is hxxp:forum.life-learners.com [nonactive]
I tried to change it to hxxp:life-learners.com/forum [nonactive]
Got the oops page when seeing if it worked, navigated back and reentered original url, clicked save and got the oops page again. Can't get past the login page not, just oops.

I don't have ftp. I used 1&1's click and build web apps.

I'm using a sub domain as I've put a Wordpress website on the main domain.

I wouldn't know where to look for a file manager in my 1&1 control panel. But I have just found a webspace recovery area...somewhere to find a solution?

It was going so well, I was so proud at what I'd achieved with no prior knowledge, learning new stuff etc etc I'm so frustrated and ashamed I could have been so stupid...thanks again

SychO

Quote from: Noidea2 on June 07, 2018, 03:09:05 AMBut I have just found a webspace recovery area...somewhere to find a solution?
Look For WebspaceExplorer in the Manage Webspace section of the Hosting panel
and Use the Repair Settings Tool
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Noidea2

Thank you so much. All working now. I will avoid said setting like the plague from now on.
It was a bit of a going by feel operation and had to steal the hubsters lappy as it didn't want to do some of it from the iPad but got there in the end. Now to go back to figuring out this gdpr business.
Thanks again for all the help,  ::)

GigaWatt

Quote from: Noidea2 on June 07, 2018, 04:29:59 PM
It was a bit of a going by feel operation and had to steal the hubsters lappy as it didn't want to do some of it from the iPad but got there in the end.

I would definitely avoid portable devices for these sorts of things.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: