News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Post I cannot delete

Started by njtweb, June 13, 2018, 02:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

I have a custom bbcode in this post. I deleted the post that the bbcode references by the URL within the bbcode tags, (a completely separate post). No I can't open this or delete it. Is there any way to edit this post or delete it in ACP?

I get this message when I click on it.
Call to undefined function mysql_num_rows()

This is the post
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php/board,70.0.html

Kindred

fix the code that is not allowing the post to be deleted...
that can't be the ONLY error. There would be a filename and line number in the error as well...

(no, there is no other interface to delete posts)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

Quote from: Kindred on June 13, 2018, 02:11:07 PM
fix the code that is not allowing the post to be deleted...
that can't be the ONLY error. There would be a filename and line number in the error as well...

(no, there is no other interface to delete posts)

That's the only post in about 450. The post it references is a poll post. The URL for the poll was inside the tags in the post I cannot open. Every other team post has the same custom BBcode tags in them and they open fine.

Thank you

Kindred

we can't help without the actual, full error message

otherwise, the only thing we can say is "fix your code" since you (or a mod) obviously broke something
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chen Zhen

Kindred is asking you to go to your Admin section & look at the actual error message in the log & post the results in a quote here in this thread.
Admin -> Logs -> Error Log

When you go to your SMF error log, left click on the magnifying glass icon that states "Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message".
( when on one of the errors that show undefined function mysql_num_rows() )
Then copy & paste the error message(s) inside a quote bbcode tag in this thread.

BTW - unrelated to your error but ensure to update your personalized bbc mod from my website. I can tell from the page XHTML that you are using an older version.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Also the complete error when clicked could be useful, the error in the OP seems like it is only a part of an error.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

You can try:
   Admin | Maintenance | Forum Maintenance | Routine | Find and Repair Any Errors

I think the links to all boards & topics on that site are very interesting...  They all point to .html files, e.g.:
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php/topic,48.0.html
Where I'm used to seeing something more like:
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?topic=48.0

Is that a portal mod or URL mod that does that?   

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

landyvlad

Queryless URLs - Turns the use of queries in the forum's URLs on and off (../index.php/topic,1.0.html compared to ../index.php?topic=1.0). In the Admin Center, this setting is referred to as Search engine friendly URLs.

Search engine friendly URLs - When enabled, queryless URLs are used for forum pages. This means they look like ../index.php/topic,1.0.html instead of ../index.php?topic=1.0. This option was introduced in order to help search engines index forum pages, but there is no longer any reason to use it, as search engines are now capable of indexing both formats. The queryless URL format only works for Apache and Lighttpd.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

shawnb61

Thanks for that explanation - very helpful.  I had never experimented with that option. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kindred

Btw, that setting is basically useless and is left over from 15 years ago, when search engines had trouble with ? In the url...

It really does nothing useful these days
Слaва
Украинi

GigaWatt

@njtweb: Try to view the post from the profile of the user (admin). Open the profile and click on Show Posts, see if the same error pops up.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

shawnb61

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 14, 2018, 12:19:55 AM
You can try:

Have you tried Find and Repair Any Errors yet?

njtweb

Ok.

So....

@Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen Here is the post https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php/topic,48.0.html

I can't click anything, it's just that message. I didn't do anything different than any other team information post except delete the poll referenced in the bbcode I have embedded in that posts subject.

@Chen Zhen - I don't see anything in the error log that says this Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message

vbgamer45

If you need help I can take a look requires ftp access. And I can see what is going on.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Chen Zhen

Look at the attached image to this post.
Do you see the magnifying glass that I circled?
The text I was referring to pops up when you hover over the magnifying glass and you can click on it.
This allows you to filter messages in your error log.

Either way all you have to do is copy & paste the entire error text from the related error (one that shows Call to undefined function mysql_num_rows() ).
If we can see the name of the file that is throwing the error then we can likely pinpoint which modification is causing the error.
Or you can do a screenshot/crop like the image I attached if you want (but show the entire error message).. whichever you prefer.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

shawnb61

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 14, 2018, 02:53:21 PM
Quote from: shawnb61 on June 14, 2018, 12:19:55 AM
You can try:

Have you tried Find and Repair Any Errors yet?

There really is an existing function that fixes stray/orphaned topics & posts. 

Third time's a charm!    ;D

njtweb

Thank you everybody for your help and interest in helping. Turns out the problem was the custom bbcode. If the post referenced in the URL that is embedded is deleted it will cause the issue. She's fixed the problem. All good now.

Advertisement: