Profile - Show posts - excerpt

Started by kaca, June 14, 2018, 03:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaca

When I go on Profile -> Show posts, there is whole text of every post on that profile.
I would like to have only peaces of texts - excerpts, for each post.
How to change code to do that? Can someone help me, please?
Thanks.

GigaWatt

I don't get it... it's supposed to show the posts... the name of the option is Show Posts, not Show Excerpts of the User's Posts.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Biology Forums

Quote from: kaca on June 14, 2018, 03:22:16 AM
When I go on Profile -> Show posts, there is whole text of every post on that profile.
I would like to have only peaces of texts - excerpts, for each post.
How to change code to do that? Can someone help me, please?
Thanks.

You mean you want the first 128 words, for example?

kaca

Arantor

For what benefit, out of interest?

kaca

A few of us are trying to create site/forum about books with possibility for visitors to register and make comments, etc.
We want to put book author names as names of members of site/forum, and if author have, for example, 10 books, there are going to be texts about these 10 books.
These texts are too long on Profile -> Show posts, especially on mobile, so it would be nice to have short version.

Arantor

Thing is, this sounds like you're trying to use a forum for something that a forum isn't designed to do. This is doable, but this would have to be done for all posts - and the problem there is that if you're looking for posts from a specific person, you end up needing to click through to the posts which ends up an even worse user experience.

It's kind of hard to understand exactly what you're trying to do though I wonder if some of the other script choices out there that are aimed at making something more of a reference library might work better... I can see a wiki doing some of this better for example.

kaca

That is truth. We need something between SMF and wordpress.
Idea was to use SMF + Simple Portal pages + little code changing, to get what we want.

Arantor

If you had a budget and were looking for out of the box with no development, I'd suggest IPB using their forum and pages components, where you can do this kind of thing without any code changes and create highly configurable listings.

Doing this in SMF seems like a lot of custom work because even the change you've suggested only fixes one particular symptom, you will probably encounter more rough edges in the long run.

kaca

Yeah, I can see. We will see what IPB has to offer. Thanks, anyway.

Advertisement: