News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Need help to transfer a SMF/SQL backup from one Hosting to another.

Started by RYFB, June 15, 2018, 09:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RYFB

Hi there
I have a new hosting and still have the old one working as well.
My new hosting has SQL Import so I downloaded a SMF/SQL backup from my old provider and went to upload to my new hosting.
The new hosting says "Character set utf-8

A problem pops up saying:
Error
SQL query:
--
-- Table structure for table `smf_ads`
--
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_ads`

MySQL said: Documentation
#1046 - No database selected

Any ideas

GigaWatt

Are you trying to import to an empty or to a populated database? Have you actually created an empty database on the new host? Does the same thing happen using phpMyAdmin?

And you should really think about upgrading to SMF 2.0.x. The 1.1.x branch is EOL (no updates, not even security patches).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you export with phpmyadmin?  Are you trying to import with pma?  Did you create a scratch database on new server?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

RYFB

Hey there
I am using php My Admin and there is a clean directory , just started with them yesterday.
The SQL file is 20MB if that makes any difference

RYFB

Hey Sir Osis
What is a scratch file?
I was attempting to simply install the SMF directory file as saved from the old hosting, and upload the saved backup SQL file

GigaWatt

By clean directory, I think you mean a clean (empty) database. Could you post a screenshot of phpMyAdmin?

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 15, 2018, 09:54:18 PM
Did you export with phpmyadmin?

Also a valid question.

Quote from: RYFB on June 15, 2018, 09:57:00 PM
The SQL file is 20MB if that makes any difference

How big is your forum? Are you sure that's the whole dump of the database, not just a part of it?

Quote from: RYFB on June 15, 2018, 09:59:40 PM
What is a scratch file?

He meant, did you create an empty database on the host ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

RYFB

RYFB

GigaWatt

Quote from: RYFB on June 15, 2018, 10:06:37 PM
Backup was using mySQL through Godaddy

Haven't had experience with Godaddy. Other members might be of more help, at least on the export part of the problem (if there was a problem during the export/dumping of the database).

Quote from: RYFB on June 15, 2018, 10:08:05 PM
I can make a blank Database on the new hosting

Do that and try importing the database dump in the newly created empty database ;).

GigaWatt

Change the name of the sql file to, let's say smfdb.sql, compress it in a zip archive and change the name of the archive to smfdb.sql.zip (because the output file name of the archiver will probably be smfdb.zip, you need to add the extra .sql before the .zip extension). Upload it like that, see if the same error appears ;).

Sir Osis of Liver

GoDaddy has two cpanel backup utilities, depending on server you'll have one or the other.  Older one saves .sql to /db_backups, you can download it from there.  Newer one downloads .sql directly to local.  Both have worked well when I've used them if db isn't too large, 20mb should not be a problem.  Importing a 20mb via pma will usually work on most hosts, but not all.  If you're having problems you can zip it as suggested, or ask host support to import it.  You must create a new db to import the backup into.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Advertisement: