News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Another Error

Started by delta5, June 18, 2018, 11:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GigaWatt

Yeah, it kind of does... I also noticed that, the load time is decreased.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arantor

That's because PHP 7.x runs faster than PHP 5.x. The downside is, to make it run faster, a lot of software needed updating...

delta5

UPDATE:
Ok, I just reset my hosting account to brand new, i installed 2.0.15. Rolled PHP back to 7.0. Now everything seems to be working with no errors listed so far. I have noticed though, that when you check a settings box and hit accept, the checkmark dissappears. After checking 2 or 3 times, i wait a min, and manually refresh the page. Now the changes are showing and implelmented. Seems to be a little lag there. I noticed this too when i receive a new PM notice, after i view the message, the NEW label doesnt disappear right away. Any ideas?

Arantor

Sounds like your hosting account has Varnish installed, check with your host to get it turned off.

GigaWatt

Also, try disabling forum caching on your end... though Arantor is probably right.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

delta5

Im on the phone with my host tech support right now, I just checked again. Whenever i try to change a setting in admin controls, the checkmark disappears when i click accept or ok.  after the third or 4th check and click, and then wait a min, refresh the page and the change seems to stay then. Would that be caused by caching?

Arantor

That would be cached by Varnish style caching where the entire page contents are stored on the server and served to you so you're seeing the older version of the form where the box isn't ticked.

delta5

Ok, varnish isn't installed. When I tried to upload a remotely hosted banner, it took forever for the new banner to appear. Not sure what to do now...

Arantor

How exactly did you determine that Varnish wasn't installed?

delta5

According  to their hosting support, their shared servers don't have it.

Arantor

*shrug* All the signs suggest it. GoDaddy's servers have a habit of doing such things (the IP address is lists secureserver.net, under a range owned by GoDaddy) so it probably does.

Still, after a few moments looking at the forum to try to help, I realised I wasn't welcome anyway.

delta5

I bought that domain because Facebook and Twitter have been caught giving conservatives a hard time, including censorship and this nonsense "shadow-banning" just because they are conservative. But that's another problem..

delta5

Found the problem. The site worked perfectly without the SSL certificate. Turns out it was some settings in the phpMyAdmin that needed fixing up. Forum is super fast now. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

GigaWatt

Could you share what that was?

delta5

He didn't actually say. I will call him back tomorrow and let him know how it's working and I will ask him for you.

GigaWatt

Advertisement: