my site wont open giving error

Started by sam casey, June 22, 2018, 08:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam casey

hi guys i have posted here previously about sites that i manage for a friend . just to recap from my older posts . my friend has 3 sites
1/ is the main site
2/ is a sort of backup copy of the main site
3/ is a new site installed (new install of smf ) some months back .

site 1 and 2 were updated by myself some months back , that is i updated to he latest smf version .

site 3 that was a new install seems at the minute to work fine with no issues that i can see .
site 1 and 2 are down .

now i first thought right or wrong was that if it was a host issue wouldnt all 3 sites be down ? .

ive tried a few web browsers and here are the errors im getting

This site can't provide a secure connection
www.satbox.info uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

The certificate expired on date (...)

Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE

An error occurred during a connection to www.satbox.info. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

the above are errors i get from site number 1 our main site , as you can see they seem to be ssl errors but slightly different . now as far as i am aware we have one ssl that covers all 3 sites , site 3 as i said gives no errors , so my thoughts are if it was simply an ssl error shouldnt site number 3 also be affected ? .

this is the error i get from site 2

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

as you can see its completely different again .

now i havent as yet spoken to the host as its my friend that owns the sites and he has the accounts , so im waiting for him to give me his info so that i can talk to the host support . so in that sense i have no feedback from the host to see if the issue is on their side , however as i said site number 3 has no problems . if all 3 sites were down i could then think that the host could be the problem .

i checked the main error log and there was not nothing from the 16th of this month untill today the 22 june , there is a long enough error log , i can provide the log in full if needed . but here are the last two error notices in the list (ive removed  ips )

[Fri Jun 22 05:36:02 2018] [error] [client ip removed ] Failed loading /usr/php/54/usr/lib64/php/modules/ioncube_loader_lin.so:  /usr/php/54/usr/lib64/php/modules/ioncube_loader_lin.so: undefined symbol: execute
[Fri Jun 22 05:36:02 2018] [error] [client ip removed] SourceGuardian requires Zend Engine API version 220100525.
[Fri Jun 22 05:36:02 2018] [error] [client ip removed ] The Zend Engine API version 220131226 which is installed, is newer.

any thoughts or help on this would be appreciated guys thanks .

Arantor

1 has a misconfigured server. Unless you can change the Apache configuration, you can't fix it. It's not that the certificate itself is invalid at least in theory but the list of ciphers is out of date.

2 could have any number of issues, check the DB details are correct in Settings.php and failing that check that all the tables aren't marked as "in use" in phpmyadmin.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You are most likely using an encryption method that is no longer supported, this would be an issue with the SSL certificate you are using.

EDIT: And again, Arantor beat me to it - and with a more complete answer too ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

In the case of the cipher, as it's suggesting, it may not be an actual cert issue but an Apache configuration issue where it outlines which SSL/TLS ciphers it wants to use, and the browser is complaining that the cipher list is out of date.

Hard to know without debugging and I don't have the facilities here st work to debug such things.

sam casey

hi thanks for the replies . sorry i dont have a lot of time at the minute as i have to be off to work . but ill check what you said to check arantor . if i cant fix this would it be something the host could do for me at their end ? .

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on June 22, 2018, 08:23:48 AM
1 has a misconfigured server. Unless you can change the Apache configuration, you can't fix it. It's not that the certificate itself is invalid at least in theory but the list of ciphers is out of date.

Sir Osis of Liver

When things are crashing around you. it's good to have complete backups of all files and databases.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Seems to be running again... though without SSL.

Sorry, I had to click on Home to get the https redirect. It has SSL running ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

sam casey

hi guys just to update . i contacted the host and they told me that the main site (number 1 ) was now pointing to cloudflare as opposed to the host . they re pointed the site to the host and the issue on site number  1 was resolved . my self as admin and the owner of the sites are at a loss to explain or understand this . there was an issue with an admin on the site but we dont know if the admin can have done this ( i mean out of spite ) . i hope not as my belief is he is a good guy . maybe the host changed something that caused this problem . we dont know , i do know .  but the host helped us out and our number site is now up and ok . so thank you guys . you always help promptly and with such great knowledge that i wish i had a small bit of lol , thanks guys you really are the best .

we still had an issue with site number 2 , that appears to back also . i hope we have this resolved . but im sure ill be back again  for the very best support and you guys are the very best . thank you .

GigaWatt

Quote from: Arantor on June 22, 2018, 08:23:48 AM
2 could have any number of issues, check the DB details are correct in Settings.php and failing that check that all the tables aren't marked as "in use" in phpmyadmin.

An admin can change these settings, and if you say that you've had a problem with one of the admins, he could have changed these settings. Use repair_settings.php to check if the settings are correct ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: