News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

error message - reference?

Started by brynn, June 22, 2018, 08:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
Is there any kind of reference where we can look up various error messages, to learn what they're about?  I hate to always have to take up your time asking about them.

Actually, I have searched, but didn't find anything.  I'm hoping maybe I just missed it?

In case there isn't a reference, here's the error.  It just started about a month ago, but I can't think of any particular change I might have made at that time.  It looks like people are having trouble logging in.  And it looks like maybe they have their referrer header blocked.  But I don't remember seeing any kind of setting in the admin panel about requiring that.  Although there's every chance it could be technical language that I don't understand.

https://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?action=login2
Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again.

Do you need to see my list of mods?  I'm thinking maybe Forum Firewall might have something about it?  (It was installed for me, some time ago, but I'm no longer in touch with the person who installed it.)

I did migrate to a new server close to 2 months ago.  I don't suppose this could somehow be a server setting?

Thanks for your help   :)

Sir Osis of Liver

Can you post errors from your forum or server error logs?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

Make sure simple portal is on the latest version.

Custom themes might need to their index.template.php editor and the login template for them edited.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmm, if you go to https://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?action=login2 you get the referring url error, but if you go to https://inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?action=login2 you sometimes get the session timeout error (not always).  Are all paths in repair_settings with/without www.?

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: brynn on June 22, 2018, 08:59:47 PM
I did migrate to a new server close to 2 months ago.  I don't suppose this could somehow be a server setting?
Do make sure all settings for the forum, and themes are structured in the same way.
All either with or without SSL, and all either with or without WWW, but no mix and match.
The login / logout functionality may not work right if there are different types or urls involved.

Start with repair_settings, like Sir Osis of Liver suggested. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

brynn

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 22, 2018, 10:13:58 PM
Can you post errors from your forum or server error logs?

The forum error is posted in the op.  Can you or someone remind me the name of the file which is the error log, on the server.  I know someone told me before, but I don't remember where it is, or what it's called. 

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 22, 2018, 10:24:53 PM
Make sure simple portal is on the latest version.

Custom themes might need to their index.template.php editor and the login template for them edited.

It looks like the current Simple Portal version is 2.3.7 and I have 2.3.6.  Not too bad.

I can't quite understand your last sentence.  Are you saying to edit something?  I'm not sure how custom themes could be affecting logins.  I don't think anyone is even using a custom theme on that forum.

Ok, what is this about repair settings (quote below)?  I seem to recall that repair settings is something I need to download?

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 22, 2018, 10:35:17 PM
Are all paths in repair_settings with/without www.?

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 22, 2018, 11:56:39 PM
Start with repair_settings, like Sir Osis of Liver suggested. :)

Ok, please tell me what to do with repair settings.  I think I used it when I switched to SSL/https.  Are you saying to just run it again?

Edit
I thought it didn't matter whether you used www or not.  I thought browsers would find the right place, either way, these days?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, run it again and go through all the urls, make sure they all start the same way. Http or Https, www or no www. 
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Server error log is usually in forum root, it's named errorlog or error.log or something similar.  On some hosts you may not see it.

repair_settings.php

- R. Waters

Arantor

Browsers only find the right place with www or not if the server and/or DNS are properly configured. They have always been, and continue to be, two separate things.

vbgamer45

SMF did do an update at one point that requires any login form to be updated. So that's why i was saying update simple portal.
Arantor also released a mod that auto fixes login forms for this issue
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

brynn

Thanks for everyones' comments, and sorry for my delay responding.

SOL, do you still want to see the server error log?  I think I have to ask my host for it, and then they upload the relevant section for me.  The only ones I see there are for a year ago or something, and then just a few lines.  There's an error log in cPanel, but I haven't actually figured out how to use it.

When I switched to https, I followed these instructions:  https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555034.0  Specifically, item #6 there, is what I followed.  Pasted below, for convenience:

- $boardurl
- Your Smileys URL
- Your Avatars URL
- Your Custom Avatars URL (if you have one)
- Your Theme URL (one for each theme!!!!)
- Your Theme/Images URL (one for each theme!!!!)

I have a vague recollection that there was more in repair settings than just those 6 items, with the emphasis on "vague".  If there are more items, are you saying to look at and fix all of them?  Or just those?

I actually can't figure out how this problem happened.  Not unless there was a problem during the server migration, and they messed it up then?  I swear, not one of them knows what the other is doing....or cares to find out!  So who knows what might have happened?

Quote from: Arantor on June 23, 2018, 02:44:41 AM
Browsers only find the right place with www or not if the server and/or DNS are properly configured. They have always been, and continue to be, two separate things.

I don't understand why they are separate, actually.  I mean, if someone owns the domain, it would be a little bit crazy to put one site on www.abc.com and another site on abc.com.  It seems like they ought to be completely interchangeable.

How can I find out about how the server and/or DNS are configured?  I would want to make sure that if I decide not to use www (when I go through the repair settings) but someone puts www in the address bar, that they will still get to my site, which isn't using www.  (Or vice versa)

Yes, I'll upgrade Simple Portal as soon as I get through with repair settings.

Thanks again.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: brynn on June 27, 2018, 12:56:21 AM
Quote from: Arantor on June 23, 2018, 02:44:41 AM

I don't understand why they are separate, actually.  I mean, if someone owns the domain, it would be a little bit crazy to put one site on www.abc.com and another site on abc.com.  It seems like they ought to be completely interchangeable.
Because technically speaking, www.abc.com is a subdomain, just like forum.abc.com

Quote from: brynn on June 27, 2018, 12:56:21 AM
How can I find out about how the server and/or DNS are configured?  I would want to make sure that if I decide not to use www (when I go through the repair settings) but someone puts www in the address bar, that they will still get to my site, which isn't using www.  (Or vice versa)
At this point, I wouldn't go there. There are easier solutions to the problem, like htaccess redirects and so on. But first you should make sure all the settings in SMF are at least correct, and only after worry about the rest. SMF can handle much of it on it's own if properly configured.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

brynn

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 27, 2018, 01:11:29 AM
Because technically speaking, www.abc.com is a subdomain, just like forum.abc.com

Really??!  Maybe I should just ask if you know where I can learn more about that, because I have a million questions!  I thought www was just a code which means "world wide web", meaning "go to that part of the internet".  And I thought not having www meant the same thing.  Otherwise, I thought there were different codes, which would bring you to different parts of the internet....like "the dark web" maybe, or like maybe nasa has it's own section, or something like that....and I thought universities had their own little corners of the internet which are identified by something else besides www.  I'm sure I've seen some addresses like w1.abc or w2.abc.  I saw one like that just a few minutes ago, actually.

In cPanel, it sure doesn't show www as a subdomain....  See what I mean, Lots of questions  :)

Ok, thanks for your comments.  I'll fix up SMF.  But later, I probably do want to dive into htaccess.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

www is basically a historical remnant that would not be needed, and in reality commonly sites do use only one or the other, but could provide the same content on both. But because historical reasons, abc.com and www.abc.com are 2 different locations for the DNS system.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

You can use an .htaccess rewrite to redirect domain.com to www.domain.com, or vice versa, but shouldn't be necessary if server is properly configured.

Something like this -

#Force www:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/$1 [L,R=301,NC]

- R. Waters

Arantor

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 27, 2018, 12:14:50 PM
www is basically a historical remnant that would not be needed, and in reality commonly sites do use only one or the other, but could provide the same content on both. But because historical reasons, abc.com and www.abc.com are 2 different locations for the DNS system.

It hails from the days when you'd have www as your website, mail for the domain's email server and so on - but the advances in the underlying protocols (esp HTTP/1.1) you could have proper name-based virtual hosting where this wasn't needed.

brynn

Hhmm, I seem to be having some trouble finding repair_settings.php after I upload it.  In the forum where I'm having this problem the worst, I upload it to the root directory, which is public_html/inkscapecuttingdesign/smf.  Then I browse to hllps://inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/repair_settings.php.  But it redirects to hllps://inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf (where I see the warning that repair settings is still there) but I don't see repair settings itself.

To try and jog my memory, or give me a clue, I uploaded it to my other site, which is in public_html/forum.  When I browse to hllps://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/repair_settings.php, I get a server error.

[edit - note that I also tried browsing to the http version of those addresses, and also with and without www - same result]

I have a feeling I'm not browsing to the correct URL to find repair settings.  But given the server error (and other problems with this new server), I wonder if it has something to do with my server, that I can't find it??  I did not have this problem when I switched to https originally.  Everything went right through according to the instructions.

This is from the error log in cPanel (not from the main error log which I have to request from my host).  But maybe it will help?

[Tue Jul 03 02:41:45.426993 2018] [:error] [pid 24413:tid 140563760224000] [client my IP address] SoftException in Application.cpp:388: UID of script "/home/brynn/public_html/forum/repair_settings.php" is smaller than min_uid

[Tue Jul 03 02:39:37.766488 2018] [:error] [pid 24440:tid 140563718260480] [client my IP address] SoftException in Application.cpp:388: UID of script "/home/brynn/public_html/inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/repair_settings.php" is smaller than min_uid

Thanks for any comments.

Kindred

that looks like some idiotic piece of "security" that your host has put in place -- or maybe a badly formed htaccess.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Misconfigured security script, not .htaccess.

How did they mess it up that badly that uploading a file via FTP assigns a UID that can't be used? Contact your host.

brynn

Advertisement: