News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Avoid recreating new PHPSESSID

Started by SirLouen, June 23, 2018, 07:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Yup, it's long been a matter of contention within the team and the industry about the value of nice looking URLs, something that the paid platforms have long since figured out and that the free ones keep trying to argue isn't relevant (mostly because it's effort to fix properly)

vbgamer45

Arantor do you suggest ripping out $PHPSESSID?

I see SMF uses the php constant SID
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

SirLouen

Quotemostly because it's effort to fix properly
I assumed that and makes sense.

All current forum CMS found this important and stepped forward in this sense, nodeBB, Vanilla, even bbPress... I think the only two stuck in this position are phpBB and SMF.

Since this forum is maintained by the community, I can't argue much about this because I recognize this is eventually a lot of programming time. If one day I have some time to start helping out I think I will start definitely in this point  ;D

Meanwhile, I will be dealing with the current mods available

Arantor

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 24, 2018, 08:35:16 AM
Arantor do you suggest ripping out $PHPSESSID?

I see SMF uses the php constant SID

I think SID is only set when cookies don't cover it - while $PHPSESSID is set in all cases, which is why SMF doesn't set PHPSESSID all the time. I'd check on the differences between those two and go from there.

GigaWatt

@Arantor: How would I do this on a forum that doesn't have Pretty URLs? Remove PHPSESSID for guests I mean :).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arantor

@GigaWatt: same caveat I mentioned still applies: it screws up your ability to track how many guests are online. But you'd do a mild change inside QueryString.php, in ob_sessrewrite(). The exact change depends on whether you use index.php/topic,1.0.html URLs or not.

GigaWatt

No, I don't use queriless URLs, I use the regular ones, with queries ;).

I'll give it shot and holler if I need any help ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Daretary

I just commented this out to stop this horror:
if (empty($_COOKIE) && SID != '' && !isBrowser('possibly_robot'))
// $buffer = preg_replace('/(?<!<link rel="canonical" href=)"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '(?!\?' . preg_quote(SID, '/') . ')\\??/', '"' . $scripturl . '?' . SID . '&amp;', $buffer);

Kindred

That is really the wrong thing to do
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

The only circumstance it actually matters is if you expect to have users who don't have cookies enabled, because that's what it was originally implemented for, for being able to track guests/search engines that couldn't handle cookies.

Since cookies are now effectively mandatory anyway you might as well do away with it. You'll note that my comments about it above were 5 years ago - the user end stopped being a problem a while ago (subject to acknowledging the necessity of cookies for guests and search engines) and every crawler handles cookies these days because it's almost more work not to.

Irisado

Quote from: Daretary on January 13, 2024, 10:53:47 AMI just commented this out to stop this horror

Please do not revive support topics that are five and a half years old.  Topic locked.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: