News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Different default thread icons for different boards?

Started by bayonetbrant, June 23, 2018, 08:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

We've got a variety of gaming-related boards on our forum.

Right now, any message created in any forum uses the same default icon.

Is there a mod out there to specify different a different default icon depending on the board in which the thread was created?

For instance, I want to have a different icon for "mobile gaming" from "console gaming" from "tabletop gaming" and others default for "writing staff" or "moderator staff"

I searched the mods archive, but looking for changes to thread icons isn't nearly specific enough.

Thanks!

Kindred

Do you mean the on/off/on2 icons that indicate if there are new messages in the board?

There are 2 mods that do that.   Custom board icons  and one by adk, I think only available on their own site...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: br360 on June 23, 2018, 09:19:25 PM
This may be close to what you are looking for- https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4038

That will add some labels to the board, but not change the default for that board :(

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Kindred on June 23, 2018, 09:24:58 PMDo you mean the on/off/on2 icons that indicate if there are new messages in the board?

No, not what I'm after.

I want the default message icon (below) to be different in boards with different topics

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

You could change the icons manually and the text too. The text resides in Post.yourlanguage.php or Post.yourlanguage-utf8.php, depending whether you're using an UTF-8 language pack or not.

$txt['standard'] = 'Standard';
$txt['thumbs_up'] = 'Thumb Up';
$txt['thumbs_down'] = 'Thumb Down';
$txt['excamation_point'] = 'Exclamation point';
$txt['question_mark'] = 'Question mark';
$txt['lamp'] = 'Lamp';

Change the translation to whatever suits your needs.

The icons reside in forum_root/Themes/default/images/post if your theme uses the icons from the default theme, or in forum_root/Themes/your_theme/images/post if you're using a different theme. By the looks of it, you're using the default theme.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GigaWatt on June 23, 2018, 11:27:03 PM
You could change the icons manually and the text too.

yep, we've got a bunch of custom icons all over our forum

I'm just trying to find a way to force a different default depending on the board they're in, but it sounds like that's a mod too far  :-\

GigaWatt

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 24, 2018, 12:05:43 AM
I'm just trying to find a way to force a different default depending on the board they're in, but it sounds like that's a mod too far  :-\

Yep, a bit too far for what I had in mind too :-\.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: br360 on June 24, 2018, 12:34:25 AM
What about something like this mod- https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3216

That *might* be able to be 'hacked' into doing it.  I'll have to play with it and see.

In the meantime, though, that's a very useful mod that'll make some of the icon distro much easier across our boards :)

Meanwhile, if anyone with mad mod'ing skillz wants to take up this challenge, I can write up a sec of testable IT req's for it (I've been an IT BA for a decade now...)

bayonetbrant

Just one more flare going up to see if someone has any ideas, or knows of any mods in progress that might meet the need for this.

Thanks!

Bigguy

Arantor

Quote from: Bigguy on July 14, 2018, 10:31:08 PM
I don't know:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=511

That changes the board icons, but the request is to change the thread icons per board. While there is some functionality for that in core, it isn't really that useful for what the OP wants.

Kindred

exactly...   the OP wants to change the message icon set displayed on a per board level.

It actually shouldn't be that hard to code... but I haven't seen anyone ever do it.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Well, you can do it out of the box by going to Admin > Forum > Smiley Sets and Message Icons > Enable customised message icons, but you then have to be super tedious about configuring which icons go with which boards. Given that it's even configured that way on this very site, anyway... ;)

Emanuele did a mod some time ago to make this interface less painful to configure icons for boards but it's still tedious and far short of what the OP seems to have been talking about.

bayonetbrant

Yes, there are definitely some tedious ways around this.  The 'easiest' way is to only allow 1 icon/board so it kind of has to be the default.

I accept that this might not be too hard to code...  for someone who knows how to write code.

I'm a rare IT weenie in that I can write some very detailed, testable requirements (10 years as a biz analyst) but I can't write the code for it :(

EthanR

Cant help unfortunately but just chiming in that this would be a useful mod for me too  :)

Advertisement: