News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Quick reply question

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, June 25, 2018, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

I've been asked an interesting question that I don't recall anyone asking before, and don't have an answer.   It appears that if quick reply is open, there's no way to get a quote into the post editor except to copy/paste from quick reply.  Is that correct?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

click reply which opens that editor, then you can quote the message from below the editor, there is an insert quote button/link.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Open the quote link to a new tab, that'll do it.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Illori on June 25, 2018, 12:25:11 PM
click reply which opens that editor, then you can quote the message from below the editor, there is an insert quote button/link.

Never noticed it. I've always used quick reply and added bbc tags manually, only time I use reply editor is to post attachments.  Will have to see how my guy wants to go, it's a very old forum and they're very set in their ways. 

Thx.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 25, 2018, 12:19:29 PM
I've been asked an interesting question that I don't recall anyone asking before, and don't have an answer.   It appears that if quick reply is open, there's no way to get a quote into the post editor except to copy/paste from quick reply.  Is that correct?

Or, scroll down the full reply editor where you can see all the previous posts, all of which have a quote button.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 25, 2018, 12:35:16 PM
Open the quote link to a new tab, that'll do it.

I usually do this :D.

Quote from: Arantor on June 25, 2018, 01:20:24 PM
Or, scroll down the full reply editor where you can see all the previous posts, all of which have a quote button.

Noticed this, but I never thought I could quote from them :D. I just thought they were there for reference, in case you get lost while you're writing your post ;).

Sort of in context with the question Sir Osis of Liver posted. Why are the previous posts "the other way around" when the full post editor opens ???. Shouldn't all posts be in the same direction as when you preview a thread (all posts are above the quick reply box)? You write a post, your post is last, so it's logical that the full post editor be at the end of the thread too, not just the quick reply box, right?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arantor

The reason the full post editor is not at the end of the thread is because it would be somewhat illogical for the main focus of the page be at the bottom.

Consider the use case: quick reply - you've read the thread and the logical continuation is to go down and hit the reply following on from what you've just read.

But the full editor, you've read the content, now you've done a new action, and that is to initiate writing something - it seems only logical that the area to write in is the focus of the action you've initiated, and that the post nearest to it is the nearest post chronologically that you're likely to quote from/reply to.

As for 'I never thought I could quote from them'... is the 'Insert quote' button not obvious enough? This sounds like a legitimate usability improvement if it's that unobvious that it's an option.

GigaWatt

About the editor... I guess you're right. But I kind of like the idea of having a full reply box at the end of the page... at least with the BBCode buttons. I know there is mod for 2.0.x for this, but I think the buttons were all centered, and it kind of looked like a tool bar being centered... which is illogical, at least for me, my brain can't process it :D, so I just removed it.

As for the "Insert Quote" section... actually, I just noticed it :D. And yes, it's logical, it's in the same place where the icon would be in a regular thread view... maybe it's because it's missing all of the other moderation icons :D. I don't know, before I was an admin, I was mod and the moderation icons were always there, so I guess I didn't notice it because the moderation icons are gone ???.

In any case, in a regular user scenario, it should be pretty obvious, the only option they have is the "Quote" so... maybe changing the name in the full reply box to just "Quote" instead of "Insert Quote"... because in the previous scenario, in a regular thread view, there is only one word next to the icon and it's just "Quote". In the full editor view, there are two word and the first one starts with an "I", not a "Q"... maybe that's why it didn't caught my attention... who knows :D.

Anyway, it should be easily fixable through the language files ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Arantor

In 2.1 the quick reply area can have bbcode buttons and smileys in it too :)

GigaWatt

Yes, I know :D, and I was so happy to see that it has this feature out of the box :D.

Steve

Why not just click 'Preview' in the quick reply box that has the quote in it which opens the full editor with the quote already inserted? Or am I not understanding the question?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

Quote from: Steve on June 26, 2018, 07:14:37 AM
Why not just click 'Preview' in the quick reply box that has the quote in it which opens the full editor with the quote already inserted? Or am I not understanding the question?

Yes, you're understanding the question correctly, but then I loose track of previous posts because the post order is reversed in the full reply box. Arantor has a point about the full reply window being on top, because when you're writing the post, you're the center of attention, so it's logical to be on top of every other post in the thread, but the scrolling and logical order of the previous posts is reversed, so I kind of loose track of what I would like to quote from other posts.

I don't mind "not being the center of attention" when writing my post, so I plan on making the "mini full editor" (the editor with BBCode buttons) a default action on my forum for the quick reply box when 2.1 is final... well, at least in RC ;).

Sir Osis of Liver

My guy asked me to disable quick reply.  It's easy to use if you know how it works (isn't everything?), but apparently causes confusion if quote is dropped into quick reply and not post editor, that seems to be a show stopper for some of his members, who are mostly seniors.  (Old people are such a pain in the ass. >:()

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 26, 2018, 06:10:01 PM
(Old people are such a pain in the ass. >:()

In most techy related things... unfortunately ::).

njtweb

I click quote, copy that then click reply and paste the quoted text into the editor.

Sir Osis of Liver

That's exactly what shouldn't be necessary.  Based on what these folks are telling me, it would make more sense (to them, not to me) if quote were dropped directly into post editor, similar to doing a modify.

- R. Waters

Steve

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 26, 2018, 06:10:01 PM(Old people are such a pain in the ass. >:()

HEY! I represent that remark! :P
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

Speaking from personal experience (Sir Osis is considerably older than most people here).

- R. Waters

Advertisement: