News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[PHP 7] Portal similar to ADK Portal or SimpleMachines "Home"

Started by kittonium, June 25, 2018, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittonium

Hi,

I'm looking for a mod that would resemble the ADK Portal (only works on php 5) or the one used here:
https://www.simplemachines.org/

Do the staff of SMF share their homepage plugin?

Arantor

No, because the one here is not a plugin - it physically lives outside of the forum and mostly works by using the integration hooks system and parts of SSI.php (i.e. it's custom code and has minimal nice UI for you anyway)

What's wrong with SimplePortal or TinyPortal? Fairly sure they can be configured to do what you're thinking of.

kittonium

Quote from: Arantor on June 25, 2018, 03:24:33 PM
No, because the one here is not a plugin - it physically lives outside of the forum and mostly works by using the integration hooks system and parts of SSI.php (i.e. it's custom code and has minimal nice UI for you anyway)

What's wrong with SimplePortal or TinyPortal? Fairly sure they can be configured to do what you're thinking of.

I see, I really like the idea of having SSI stuff, maybe I'll try to learn and make my own

Does simpleportal/tinyportal support php7? ADK Portal had a problem when it was using create_function, which is deprecated in php7

Arantor

TP does.

create_function is deprecated in 7.2. You know what else heavily uses create_function? SMF 2.0.x...

kittonium

Quote from: Arantor on June 25, 2018, 03:45:15 PM
TP does.

create_function is deprecated in 7.2. You know what else heavily uses create_function? SMF 2.0.x...

hm?
after installation of ADK Portal, all calls to create_function were erroring out and i had to delete everything and reinstall the forum

Arantor

I can't speak for ADK Portal, but I can speak somewhat for SMF.

create_function is used *extensively* in the bbcode parser, and it's only been deprecated in PHP 7.2, not even removed (it just issues a warning to tell you that it's going away). Every single SMF bbcode uses create_function in 2.0, ALL of them. This is fixed in 2.1 though.

If you were getting errors, that's likely to be a sign of more general problems in ADK Portal...

kittonium

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

rcolaneri

tbh TinyPortal is the half good as ADK  :(
ADK is way more complete, customizable and powerful. It was an excellent work.
It's sad that has been discontinued and nobody developed a version for PHP 7... it's a masterpiece wasted.

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Bloc

Quote from: rcolaneri on November 19, 2018, 10:33:28 PM
It's sad that has been discontinued and nobody developed a version for PHP 7... it's a masterpiece wasted.

How much more complete, how much more customizable and how much powerful? :) Not being negative, but genuinely curious.

lurkalot

Quote from: Bloc on November 20, 2018, 12:12:33 PM
Quote from: rcolaneri on November 19, 2018, 10:33:28 PM

How much more complete, how much more customizable and how much powerful? :) Not being negative, but genuinely curious.

I wasn't going to reply, but curiosity got the better of me too.   I do wonder what makes someone choose or recommend a particular portal over another.  Wish we could gain a bit more feedback to be honest, then at least we'd know if we're heading in the right direction.

Bloc

Apart from the PHP7 angle which Arantor explained anyway, I suspect its more a frustration over its current issues that anything else.

Everything can be improved no doubt, the question is who to listen to — especially with fewer users and their individual needs playing against each other.

Advertisement: