News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

What's 'standard' in 2.1 from these mods?

Started by landyvlad, June 25, 2018, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

This is my list of mods, along with my comments as to whether I think the functionality is included.

I'd be happy for any corrections.  When I get 2.1 up and running in due course I want as few mods as possible, while still accomplishing the look/feel/functionality I want.   

Anyway...

@mention members - default inclusion in 2.1
Like Posts - default inclusion in 2.1
Responsive Curve - Curve + this mod = replaced by Curve2

Automatic Attachment Rotation (and Resize) - ?

Copyright and Footer Links  - ?

"httpBL" and "Stop Spammer" - I don't think that there is built in spam protection of this type in 2.1, but happy to be corrected?

Image Processing Memory Limit - Is this included, or even required in 2.1 ?

Show JDALLAUI in Post and PM - Does SMF2.1 optionally display join date etc like this, or is mod still required?

Sortable Packages (and Installed Time) - is this 'filter' included in 2.1 package manager at all?

Topics Created And Participated In - does 2.1 display these without the need for a mod?

Yet Another YouTube BBCode Tag - does 2.1 automatically parse YT links to embed the video?

And these I am confident are NOT included in SMF2.1, other than by mod.
(mods either currently compatible or likely to be updated post 2.1RC)

SMF Post Prefix
Social Login
Country Flags
Google Member Map
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Links
Downloads System
Tapatalk SMF
TinyPortal - obviously not included in 2.1, but latest version is compatible.

Please note that I am not asking whether particular mods are going to be updated etc here. I am simply trying to get my head around what SMF 2.1 can and can't do by default (moreso than what I have been able to figure out from the 'specs' posts).

Thanks for any input people are able to provide.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

Illori

install SMF 2.1 in a test setup and play with it, then you will get a feel for what has to offer and what mods you may need in the future. a lot of what you want which are mods, are still mods needed for you in SMF 2.1.

GigaWatt

Quote from: landyvlad on June 25, 2018, 10:07:19 PM
"httpBL" and "Stop Spammer" - I don't think that there is built in spam protection of this type in 2.1, but happy to be corrected?

If bots are the only thing that worries you, use this approach, trust me, you'll never have to delete another bot again ;). Used it for months now, not one bot registered, dropped the default captcha, down to one question ;).

Yet Another YouTube BBCode Tag - does 2.1 automatically parse YT links to embed the video?

Yes, this is a default feature now, but only for YouTube videos.

So, as Illori stated, yes, you're going to require most of the mods you already have installed.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

landyvlad

Thank you all for the feedback and tips.

I have a 2.1 test forum just trying to get it to upgrade to beta4...
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

shawnb61

Download System already works in 2.1.

I've abandoned Tapatalk once Responsive Curve was installed on 2.0.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

landyvlad

Thanks Shawn.  Even after I had the responsive curve installed, I was still getting requests from some members for tapatalk.   I suspect this is mostly down to what they are used to, and being a new forum I didn't want to put people off.

I may well ditch it (at least temporarily) when I upgrade to 2.1 and see what happens...  :D 

shawnb61

What bugs me is that the later versions of Tapatalk hijack your security...  I don't want anybody near that code.  I also have had issues where Tapatalk aggressively crawled my site - a known issue with them. 

Over the years, I have had 2 or 3 users (out of ~25K) express interest in upgrading Tapatalk, but I've simply told them no.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

landyvlad

I know near nothing about tapatalk itself.  Any chance of pointing me to any link or discussion with these issues so I can make my membership aware of the problems,  as a precursor to removal?

shawnb61

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I forgot about Tapatalk ages ago, when I realized it actually replaced parts of the stock source code completely with it's own files to work around intentional limitations in SMF. That was all I needed to know. I don't know if it still works like that, but I wouldn't trust Tapatalk with access to my coffee, let alone my server...
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

@rjen

After using it for about a year I removed it: crappy updates, major layout updates without any notice.
When they tried to hijack the user base providing chat functionality outside my forum I felt is enough .
Left it behind and never looked back. A responsive theme is way better!

I would strongly advice against the use of Tapatalk!
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

landyvlad

lurkalot

Not the case, but the next version TP 1.5.1 will have basic support for SMF 2.1 We're just testing it atm.  ;)

Kindred

testing for release just in time for us to completely rewrite the interface and reorder the database, right?!

(j/k)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

You're only reordering the database, not normalising parts of it and denormalising others? Maybe get on that before the next release! ;D (j/k)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sounds like fun, perhaps we should. Just for fun.

(j/k)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Massl

Quote from: GigaWatt on June 26, 2018, 06:46:41 AM

Yes, this is a default feature now, but only for YouTube videos.

Hi, it was added in 2.1 beta 4?
With the beta 3 only the link is displayed.

Antes

Quote from: lurkalot on July 05, 2018, 12:57:41 PM

Not the case, but the next version TP 1.5.1 will have basic support for SMF 2.1 We're just testing it atm.  ;)

Maybe I should stop working on SP and give my full focus to TP... Do you guys have cookies ?

lurkalot

Advertisement: