Package manager, button order

Started by lurkalot, July 04, 2018, 04:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Was testing in 2.1 beta 4 and noticed the button order in 2.1 is the opposite way around compared to SMF 2.0

I realise this isn't a major issue, but for consistency, and not to confuse long time users, would it not be an idea to have these the same as SMF 2.0, not sure I like delete as the fist option.  A couple of screenshots attached.

Thoughts?

d3vcho

Nice catch. Would you mind posting this on GitHub?
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Shambles

Quote from: lurkalot link
... not sure I like delete as the fist option...

Oh I dunno. It's usually the option that gets me shaking my fist.

lurkalot

lurkalot

Quote from: d3vcho(void) on July 04, 2018, 04:12:43 PM
Nice catch. Would you mind posting this on GitHub?

Well,  I think we must be the only two people that agree.  https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/4815

GigaWatt

Actually, I wouldn't agree with either of the two orders. From left to right, I would put "List Files" in first place, "Uninstall" second and "Delete" third. That would be logical to me.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Gary

Thing is, the top attachment shown is from 2.0, so if anything that's how people are going to expect it to remain in 2.1, so I agree with OP on it confusing long standing users.

I'd diagnose it as a CSS float derp but I've not looked at 2.1 in ages. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Illori

it may be, but given that so many things were switched around in SMF 2.1, i am not sure this is expected or if we should change it. many users may complain that buttons are in the wrong order. of course if it is as easy as changing a float then we might as well change it unless it breaks something else.

landyvlad

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 05, 2018, 10:55:33 AM
Actually, I wouldn't agree with either of the two orders. From left to right, I would put "List Files" in first place, "Uninstall" second and "Delete" third. That would be logical to me.

Me too.

I don't think this is hard to get one's head around (a change in button order) and I think it's more sensible to make it logical, than it is to make it the same as it's always been...
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

GigaWatt

Quote from: landyvlad on July 17, 2018, 09:41:24 PM
I don't think this is hard to get one's head around (a change in button order) and I think it's more sensible to make it logical, than it is to make it the same as it's always been...

Agreed ;).

And I only pointed out that particular order because it's basically ordered by the gradation of how you handle the mod and it's files. "List files" does nothing except list the files, "Uninstall" removes the mod from your current setup and "Delete" does the most "extreme" thing and completely deletes the mod and it's files.

The logical order of these options should either be left to right or right to left... although, left to right is more logical, but IMO the order should be in that particular way.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: