News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Deprecated Error - Can't login...

Started by Syc37, July 06, 2018, 10:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syc37

Getting this error when I try to log in...

"Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/raiderf/public_html/raiderforum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3"

Our forum needs to be updated to a newer SMF version, My admin gave me admin privileges to do this for him, but I accidentally logged out and now I cannot login...

Does anyone have any backdoor ways to get me logged back in... I really want to get back in and try to upgrade, before the forum gets totally outdated and unusable for everyone...

Our forum has been running for almost 20 years, would hate to lose it... or start from scratch, we would lose a lot of loyal members, we have some that reappear years later, and its always good to hear from them..

ANY help would be greatly appreciated...

Sir Osis of Liver

You can't upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0 in admin, you need to upload the 2.0.15 upgrade package via ftp or cpanel file manager, and run upgrade.php to upgrade database.  You must backup all files and your database before you attempt the upgrade.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Syc37

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 06, 2018, 10:12:43 PM
You can't upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0 in admin, you need to upload the 2.0.15 upgrade package via ftp or cpanel file manager, and run upgrade.php to upgrade database.  You must backup all files and your database before you attempt the upgrade.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Ok, thanks, I am currently locked out, so is there a way I can get back in, so I can inform the admin...  and could you tell me specifically what I would need (permissions, access, etc) him to give me access to?  Thanks...

Syc37

I'm somewhat computer saavy, It's just been a long time since I've tinkered with these type of forums, and I'm afraid that our admin is totally green on any of this type of stuff... So I offered to help...

So I guess I'm asking, what exactly do I need to tell him to give access to, so I can perform the upgrade...  (like in a way that he would understand, lol)

Sir Osis of Liver

You need owner access to host control panel.  From your description, sounds like forum is crashed because host upgraded php version.  You may be able to downgrade to earlier version in cpanel, but you need owner access.  There's nothing you can do to login from where you are now, the forum is not working. 

- R. Waters

Syc37

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 06, 2018, 10:21:44 PM
You need owner access to host control panel.  From your description, sounds like forum is crashed because host upgraded php version.  You may be able to downgrade to earlier version in cpanel, but you need owner access.  There's nothing you can do to login from where you are now, the forum is not working.

The forum itself works, there's just a lot of bugs and issues...

Users can post and everything, but have to go "back" twice and refresh to get back to where you would normally be after posting.  It's weird...

Some users get kicked out, and somehow get logged back in, others, like me, logged out and can not log back in... But I can see the forum being used, and users posting, etc... I just can't reply or post myself, because I need to be logged in...

I found out how to get to the cpanel, some of these things are coming back to me as I do them, lol... It's been like 15 years since I last had to do any of this...

GigaWatt

Quote from: Syc37 on July 06, 2018, 10:29:07 PM
I found out how to get to the cpanel, some of these things are coming back to me as I do them, lol... It's been like 15 years since I last had to do any of this...

You have to maintain your forum. It's like a living thing, users fill it with content.

Check for updates/upgrades at least once every 3 or 4 months.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Just make certain you have a good database backup, it contains all your 20 years of content.  Everything else can be restored from scratch.

- R. Waters

Syc37

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 06, 2018, 10:35:39 PM
Quote from: Syc37 on July 06, 2018, 10:29:07 PM

You have to maintain your forum. It's like a living thing, users fill it with content.

Check for updates/upgrades at least once every 3 or 4 months.

It wasn't my duty to maintain... I just offered to help, being that I had a little experience dealing with SMF... The admin gave me admin privileges (for the forum, not cpanel), but I accidentally logged out, and now I can't get back in to tell him exactly what I need... and all his outside contact info is in my inbox... on the forum...

Syc37

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 06, 2018, 10:36:36 PM
Just make certain you have a good database backup, it contains all your 20 years of content.  Everything else can be restored from scratch.

Right, we pretty much came to the conclusion that we could care less about all the cosmetics... just as long as we could keep the content... So if we came back with a bare bones forum, but with all our old content, we would just deal with it and tweak it along the way...

It's a Fan site for an NFL team, so it's ok, now considering its offseason, but as we get closer to Training Camp and the season, traffic starts to pick up... just wanna make sure we're back before then... and I'm sure I'm not the only user who got locked out...

Thank you guys for all the help...

Gary

It is actually possible to upgrade to 2.0 without having to login, since upgrades aren't handled from within the admin center. The Upgrading SMF documentation tells you how to upgrade. (You will need to change a value from within upgrade.php though)

Are you locked out because of the PHP Deprecated error specifically? (Like, is there an error when you try to log back in again normally)

The only thing you really need would be FTP access to the forum so you can overwrite your 1.1 files with those from 2.0.

(I'd also recommend using cPanel to access phpMyAdmin and export the database before even bothering to overwrite any files)
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Advertisement: