News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Frequent internal server error 500 + unable to backup database

Started by krystal, July 10, 2018, 05:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, if you are currently on 5.6, I would say that is not the issue.
It is probably the most compatible version with most SMF mods currently.

But, that being said if your host suggests it, you can always try - just make sure you have a way to switch back too if that breaks something more.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

krystal

So, a bit of an update...

Changing the PHP version didn't help, not surprisingly. :( The errors continue the same as before.

I will be going back to the previous PHP version since my Coppermine Photo Album does not appear to be compatible with 7.0 and I don't have time to try and fix that.

The most recent response from the host's support:

QuoteOk I was able to replicate the error on my end as well. The thing is the
site errored out right away which is usually an indication of a software
issue. I checked over the server logs in regard to running out of memory
and all those looked good. Here is the full error I was able to
replicate:

[Thu Aug 23 12:40:21 2018] [error] [client 189.124.234.160] Premature end
of script headers: php70.cgi, referer:
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=15953.0
[Thu Aug 23 12:40:21 2018] [error] [client 189.124.234.160] File does not
exist: /home/playmo/playmofriends.com/internal_error.html, referer:
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=15953.0

It seems as if there is something going on with your forum that caused
the error. Do you think you can reach out to there support to see if
there are any debug logs that would show what might be wrong. Or maybe
even updating or replacing the software?

I have to say there's not a lot of continuity in the service from them with regard to this problem. It's very rarely the same person replying and I don't think they go back and read all the previous messages that have been exchanged. I already explained to a previous agent that I had looked for solutions on this forum.

Feeling pretty hopeless about it all. I did ask again about the possibility of moving the site to a different server rig but they ignored the suggestion, probably because it creates more work for them.  ::)

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

krystal

That links to the Coppermine Album.
It was working fine before recently changing the PHP Version, so that must be the cause.

Sir Osis of Liver

I would drop back to php 5.6 until you get this resolved.  500 errors seem to be random, that's usually a server problem.  Anything in forum error log?

- R. Waters

drewactual

Drop a phpinfo link for us to see the configuration?

Go to your cpanel and turn off any pho handlers... And if SuPHP is running, turn it off as well.  If you're running any acceleration such as OPCache or XCache, SuHosin will hose it down with a quickness :) and seriously destabilize php.  Also, look for mod_authorize and if its running, switch it off too..,.

Often mass hosts will turn everything on and leave it to user's to discover incompatibility,,, of you make a phpinfo() page and linkvot for us we may be able to spot the issue(s)..  Your issue has a signature of mods or settimgs butting heads.  The infinite way to configure php frustrates even those who actually know how it tics... 

edited to add:

the forum seems fine... the coppermine seems to cough the errors... i never saw a single error with the forum, but the coppermine errored no matter how it was approached.. a failure due to functions.inc line 181 and then the 500...

Sir Osis of Liver

There's phpinfo link in OP.  If you click around the forum, you'll get random 500 errors. Coppermine is broken because he's still in php 7.0.

- R. Waters

drewactual

Krystal, do you have cpanel access? 

can you get to software>phpmanager> and turn OFF CGI as a handler and turn ON FPM?

you're running CGI/FastCGI while FPM is present- leave the handler line blank in the php manager and FPM will carry the water... when you select FPM for the site you'll see a little block usually on the far right of the line called 'pools'.... double or triple each of those figures (5 to either 10 or 15, ect...)....

using CGI as the handler exhausts the available workers with a quickness, is not secure, and is generally slower than any other method.  Also, you're running OPCache, which is great- but.... while running CGI as a handler OPCache is literally useless and does absolutely nothing but consume resources (and workers).... but when you enable FPM (disabling CGI handler at same time) you'll notice your processor weight takes a a nose dive and there will be more available workers to process your scripts. 

also, it's been my experience for whatever value it holds that using output compression via SMF while using zlib is a bad plan... one or the other, with preference being on allowing SMF to manage the compression (selected in server settings area of admin section) and turning OFF zlib compression via htaccess or php/user.ini... I would suggest turning it off in user.ini in your forum directory, as the .user is a directory level only adjustment, and not an entire website or sub-directory cascade adjustment. 

krystal

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 23, 2018, 07:40:23 PM
Anything in forum error log?

Nope, nothing unusual. Only incorrect passwords.

Quote from: drewactual on August 24, 2018, 09:12:15 AM
Krystal, do you have cpanel access?

Sadly, no.  :(
I searched for info and found this answer:
DreamHost's panel was built in-house and is currently the only panel available.

Thanks for all the suggestions though!
Really appreciate you taking the time to look into this :)

Is there any other way I can change those settings like in phpMyadmin?
Or do I need to ask my host to change them for me?

drewactual

# Use PHP54CGI as default
   AddHandler fcgidbeta-script .php

i THINK you can do this in htaccess to solve the CGI as a handler issue, but FPM is deeper than that.... I think... see what this does while i seek information on using FPM after http.d loads...

edited to add:

phpMyAdmin is your database tool... you'll be needing to find whatever mechanism they have to manage php versions... so... yeah, you'll likely need your host for this one.  it can't be done after php has already initiated. 

krystal

Quote from: drewactual on August 24, 2018, 12:26:14 PM

# Use PHP54CGI as default
   AddHandler fcgidbeta-script .php

i THINK you can do this in htaccess to solve the CGI as a handler issue, but FPM is deeper than that.... I think... see what this does while i seek information on using FPM after http.d loads...

That caused a different problem  ;)
Whenever I click on a php link I get a pop up from Firefox asking me how it should open it

drewactual

krystal

Quote from: drewactual on August 24, 2018, 01:10:17 PM
DOH!!!!!

use:
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php56 .php

I was still getting those browser pop-ups whenever clicking on topic or board links, unfortunately :(

drewactual

ask your host how many workers are set on your account?  how is the pool configured?

Advertisement: