News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Wanting to change forum url after the fact.

Started by alaska_guy, July 13, 2018, 08:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alaska_guy

I currently have my forum located at www.websitename.com/index.php [nofollow], it looks like I can move it within the management interface by simply changing the address to www.websitename.com/forums... [nofollow]

In actuality is there other things I need to do? IE: copy all forum files to a /forums folder on the back end before making this change?

Thanks!

Sir Osis of Liver

Not sure what you mean by 'management interface', but if you want to move the forum from root to subdirectory, copy everything into subdir, then run repair_settings.php to fix paths.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: alaska_guy on July 13, 2018, 08:00:36 PM
In actuality is there other things I need to do? IE: copy all forum files to a /forums folder on the back end before making this change?

Thanks!
Yes, exactly that. Copy the whole SMF file and folder structure to the /forums folder, and then

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 13, 2018, 09:49:28 PM
run repair_settings.php to fix paths.

And make sure you get all theme paths and urls too.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

alaska_guy

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

alaska_guy

I changed my location and the forum seems to be working well, the only thing that doesn't seem to work properly is tapatalk.  I can search for my site name and find it within tapatalk but no data is populating within the app.  I have tried to remove the site within tapatalk on my phone and re-add and I get the same experience.

I checked the tapatalk plugin status and all looks correct and it is pointing to the new location.  IE: websitename/forums/mobiquo/status.php

Any suggestions?  Do I just need to wait?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I do not know how Tapatalk actually works out stuff like that, might be better if you asked Tapatalk support about that.

On the other hand, I would personally recommend finding a decent mobile friendly theme and ditch Tapatalk all together unless you have a good reason to hold on to it.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Shambles

Did you change the url within the Tapatalk Site Managers console at tapatalk.com?

alaska_guy

Thanks, that was it!  Heading to sleep finally.

Advertisement: