Problem with post editor on mobile

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, June 29, 2018, 12:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

The reply window snaps back to the top of a longer reply. Can't get the curser to go to a place further down, scroll and it just snaps back up to top of the pane again.

Blackberry Q10, this is a new problem since the forum was updated.

Once the typing gets down to below the bottom of the reply window, and you try to take the cursor back, the window snaps back to the top, and you have to tap tap tap back down to where one wants to edit/correct.

Forum was upgraded from 1.1.18 -> 2.0.15.  Only one user has reported this glitch.  Responsive Curve mod doesn't help.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

I'm assuming this is a problem with Blackberry's browser... not exactly fixable.

drewactual

you may be able to hack it?  I know, not a solution, but possibly a functional bandage...

perhaps using a js to 'focus' on the form while in mobile
<script>
function setFocusToTextBox(){
    document.getElementById("mytext").focus();
}
</script>

or even using css specific for blackberry if that is the only browser reporting this? 

Arantor

Except every tweak you make, you have to 1) make sure it doesn't break it for everyone else and 2) apply and then wait for feedback, which makes the whole process massively tedious, and that's before dealing with the likes of caching, making testing difficult at best...

Debugging with such a device is going to be difficult enough, let alone doing it without...

Sir Osis of Liver

And I'd be doing it blind, don't use a phone.  Just that it sounds similar to a problem that came up several years back, where pc users were having a similar problem.  Don't remember enough about it to search it up.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Arantor

Probably because the 2.0 editor has a widget for resizing the editor area that the 1.1 editor doesn't.

GigaWatt

Quote from: drewactual on June 29, 2018, 12:43:31 PM
or even using css specific for blackberry if that is the only browser reporting this?

And then we would be using browser specific fixes ::). What if it beaks everything else... and even if it doesn't what if they fix this in future versions of the browser and this code breaks something else?

IMO, this is not the way to go. Browser specific settings and fixes are almost always not the way to go with these sorts of bugs.

In my defense I also don't own a phone (I own this one... if it's still considered as a phone nowadays).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on June 29, 2018, 02:04:50 PM
Probably because the 2.0 editor has a widget for resizing the editor area that the 1.1 editor doesn't.

Can it be removed without causing problems?  Members were using 1.1.x for around 10 years, so they wouldn't mind (or even notice) if the resize function was gone.

I thought Blackberry had gone down the crapper couple years ago.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think it should be possible to just strip the resizing from it, and not break stuff - but it would probably be best done by testing with a copy install of the theme, and letting the affected users test it. Not sure of the code to look at though, at the moment. May be able to look it up later if you want to experiment.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Can't replicate the problem, it seems to happen only on Blackberry, so not going to mess with it.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Understandable. Hard to fix something blind.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: