Nobody can register. "An error has occurred!"

Started by Obsydian, July 17, 2018, 10:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsydian

Just today nobody has been able to register to my forum.  I can't even get it to work.  I only get a blank box with "An error has occurred!"  Nothing displays in the log file.

Nobody has done anything to the forum to warrant this sudden change.

I've flushed the cache and did all the maintenance tasks.

I'm baffled!  Any insight?

Forum is https://www.thetarotforum.com/ [nofollow]

EDIT: The log is finally updating.
8: Only variables should be passed by reference
2: Parameter 1 to VBBIS_Displays() expected to be a reference, value given
2: Parameter 1 to shd_buffer_replace() expected to be a reference, value given

Kindred

Your host updated to php7 and you are still using smf 2.0.13 or prior.

Upgrade smf or downgrade php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Obsydian

I am using 2.0.15.  I downgraded the PHP to 5.6 but I'm still getting the same issue.  I've tried 7.0 and 7.1 as well.

Also if I go to Register New Member, I get this:
syntax error, unexpected 'if' (T_IF), expecting ')'

Gary

That doesn't really say a whole lot.

- What file is effected?
- What line does the error occur on?
- Can you post the content of that line, plus ten lines above and below it.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

SpacePhoenix

Kindred

if you are using 2.0.15, then that suggests that you have mods which are not updated to support php7+

If you ACTUALLY downgrade php, there is no way that you would get the same error.

as for your other error - as Gazmanafc indicates, please provide the FULL error. file name, line number...  and the excerpt of the code that the error indicates.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Obsydian

The problem with these errors is that is all that is displaying, and there is no line given.

Right now I am restoring from a backup and trying other things, since while the forum claims it's in 2.0.15, I'm getting some readings that the files, or some of them, are in .14.  I got it to work briefly, but it caused other issues.

Thank you for your help, I'll update back again if I'm getting the same/new errors and with any additional details I can find.

Sir Osis of Liver

Some files will have earlier version numbers because there were no changes to the file in subsequent updates.  I've worked on one or two forums where cpanel displayed incorrect php version after downgrade.  Have you checked it with phpinfo?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Pipke

it seems this mod is breaking something VBBIS - VBulletin Board Index Style (Partially Hook!) as the function VBBIS_Displays() is called, hope this gives you a start where to look, you could try to uninstall the mod and see if the error has gone.
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

Arantor

It's not that mod. It's not SimpleDesk (shd_buffer_replace) either - both of those mods are receiving variables when they were expecting references, but neither of those would be causing the fatal error being described.

Obsydian

Ok.  The plot thickens.

I'm going to try to recount exactly what I've done, but I can't even access my forum at the moment so I don't have much to go off of.  I'll reinstall (again...) after I've posted here.

I restored from the working (sans registration) backup.  Forum is working good, no mods enabled.
Was able to register 2 accounts to test things out.
Slowly started enabling mods.  One mod broke the registration so I disabled it.
Registered a new account.
Forum stopped functioning and stopped loading.
Migrated to a business hosting with dedicated server.

Forum started working again while I was writing this and so I have one question:
How many processes is normal to be running on PHP?  I don't have a limit on those anymore with the new hosting, however I'm wondering if 50+ is considered normal (for almost 900 members.)

It's slowing down randomly now.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

confuseamuse

Sounds like a server issue. Consider contacting your host.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Obsydian on July 18, 2018, 08:49:01 PM
Forum started working again while I was writing this and so I have one question:
How many processes is normal to be running on PHP?  I don't have a limit on those anymore with the new hosting, however I'm wondering if 50+ is considered normal (for almost 900 members.)
This would highly depend on the server configuration, there are so many different ways to set up PHP and Apache.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Obsydian

I contacted my host and they said it wasn't on their end.

I rolled back to a working version last night and went to bed. Reg didn't work but it was a start.

Woke up to database errors and no connection.

Backend error:
[Wed Jul 18 21:25:21.295984 2018] [autoindex:error] [pid 36527:tid 140119470184192] [client 188.166.89.30:38028] AH01276: Cannot serve directory /home/tarotforum/public_html/: No matching DirectoryIndex (index.html.var,index.htm,index.html,index.xhtml,index.wml,index.perl,index.pl,index.plx,index.ppl,index.cgi,index.jsp,index.js,index.jp,index.php4,index.php3,index.php,index.phtml,index.shtml,default.htm,default.html,home.htm,index.php5,Default.html,Default.htm,home.html,welcome.html) found, and server-generated directory index forbidden by Options directive

Kindred

wow... you seriously need to look for a new host.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Obsydian

It started to work again... Until I tried to log in. Going to be talking to host again.

GigaWatt

If you have FTP access, try refreshing the public_html dir (F5) when the error/errors occurs and see if index.php is visible in it... though I seriously doubt it will be missing ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: