News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

At A Loss - Can't make it work

Started by GBWWU, July 21, 2018, 05:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBWWU

Home PC
Windows 10
XAMPP platform

I have setup Xampp, opened the ports , secured a DNS and, well done everything. I have started up XAMPP and configured it. I have asked several people to see if they can access the site with the basic XAMPP webpage, and they all have great success.

Now I install SMF, follow the videos on YouTube on how to install it and I have no issues at all - Youtube video - Installing SMF 2.0.12 in XAMPP.
I can use it locally and alter the forums and change the themes, but nobody else can access anything but some scripted page with the basics.

I have installed SMF in it's own folder - fail
In the XAMPP dashboard folder - fail
In the XAMPP hostdocs folder - fail.

I have been at it for 14 hours now trying everything I can, reading through config files, and I am ready to give up. This is why I'm asking for help - I am at the limit of my ability and it is not as simple as it's supposed to be.

The link for a reference (it will remain running until it's solved) is (Just found out I can't post a link to the site) - WTF? How are you going to see what's happening?

Please help.

Illori

when it fails what actually happens? what do you see? without details we cant help you resolve the issue as we cant see what is happening.

what is your end goal if installing in XAMPP? are you just testing? if you want to make a forum for others to visit you really need to find yourself a webhost.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: GBWWU on July 21, 2018, 05:38:08 AM
Now I install SMF, follow the videos on YouTube on how to install it and I have no issues at all - Youtube video - Installing SMF 2.0.12 in XAMPP.
I can use it locally and alter the forums and change the themes, but nobody else can access anything but some scripted page with the basics.
You have probably set it up so that everything is being loaded from localhost. It works for you, but will not work for anyone else.
Make sure you are using the addresses available to the internet, not those you use yourself to test.

Also, why 2.0.12? That is outdated already.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Also, using your local machine for such things is usually a really bad idea since regular desktops are not set up to handle the security requirements of being completely internet facing (most of it is shielded by the router)

lurkalot

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 21, 2018, 07:10:21 AM

Also, why 2.0.12? That is outdated already.

Youtube video - Installing SMF 2.0.12 in XAMPP.   Assuming it's my video the OP is referring to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2R9suhffbg I think that was a mistake on my part, I should have just called it "Installing SMF in XAMPP".  I would hope that 2.0.15 has been installed in this particular case.

I'll change the title of that vid methinks.   

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ah, I got confused there - Roger that :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

^^ What everybody posted earlier.

You could probably do it on a dedicated local PC or a single board computer, but I wouldn't advise that if you're a beginner. Just making it work is probably the best option and that would be paying an actual host. Also, there are lots of free hosts available that offer 1 or 2GB webspace, 1 or 2 databases, which is more than enough to get you started ;). If you'd like, I could post some links ;).

That being said, you can't post links until you've made 15 posts (I think ???). Drop the http:// and just post the URL without it ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Shambles

What I used to do with my xampp setup was to grab a free domain from no-ip and keep it uptodate with my public IP address (they supply a code module to help you do that, or your router may be able to do it for you)

Then, use that domain name within repair_settings.php as the forum base.

Then your "users" will be able to see your content.

Advertisement: