News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Account Settings Link missing from Modify Profile

Started by Griffinit, July 21, 2018, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffinit

Using SMF v.2.0.15

I have one user where under Modify Profile menu the first item is "Forum Profile", that is "Account Settings" link is missing.

This is just for one user. Other users' Modify Profile do include "Account Settings".

Unfortunately, this user has forgotten his password, but without "Account Settings" I cannot give him a new one.

What can I do?

GL700Wing

Is the 'Edit Account Settings' permission enabled for the membergroup that member belongs to?
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If you are the admin, that option should be available to you in every other users profiles. There is no function in SMF that would hide it from the admin.

What is the user ID of that profile?
The number in the u=123 part of the url when you look at their profile.
You can try to form the url manually, like so:
https://www.example.com/index.php?action=profile;area=account;u=123
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Griffinit

Quote from: GL700Wing on July 21, 2018, 11:02:03 PM
Is the 'Edit Account Settings' permission enabled for the membergroup that member belongs to?

He is an admin so has all permissions.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 21, 2018, 11:08:05 PM
If you are the admin, that option should be available to you in every other users profiles. There is no function in SMF that would hide it from the admin.

What is the user ID of that profile?
The number in the u=123 part of the url when you look at their profile.
You can try to form the url manually, like so:
https://www.example.com/index.php?action=profile;area=account;u=123 [nofollow]

The user is an admin. I tried https://www.example.com/index.php?action=profile;area=account;u=47 which is his "u" value.

It took me to his profile summary, not his account settings. I am an admin, so is he. The "account settings" link for him is missing.  It just looks like he has no account, although he has a profile. It is really very odd.

I am thinking I might have to look at the tables?

Gwenwyfar

Have you checked the permissions for your admin group to see if nothing is wrong?
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Griffinit

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on July 22, 2018, 04:34:50 PM
Have you checked the permissions for your admin group to see if nothing is wrong?

Yes, I have checked that. Nothing wrong.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It maybe that he is a full admin, in a protected usergroup, while you are not. I have seen that done sometimes. He being "above you" then, you would have no access to his account settings. Then the only way would be to either him use the password recovery options, or change the password through the database.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Griffinit

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 22, 2018, 04:40:33 PM
It maybe that he is a full admin, in a protected usergroup, while you are not. I have seen that done sometimes. He being "above you" then, you would have no access to his account settings. Then the only way would be to either him use the password recovery options, or change the password through the database.

I am the main administrator. We are in the same usergroup. We both have full permissions.

He doesn't seem to be able to use the forgotten password option (I don't know why not) - it is all very mysterious.

Quote from: Kindred on July 22, 2018, 04:42:33 PM
What mods do you have installed?

SMF 2.0.15 Update    version 1.0    
GDPR Helper      version 1.0.4

Illori

what happens when he tries the password reset option? any errors in the error log? any errors in the server error log?

Griffinit

Quote from: Illori on July 22, 2018, 05:10:48 PM
what happens when he tries the password reset option? any errors in the error log? any errors in the server error log?

I think he didn't get the email. I think his email address may be out of date. I'm not sure. I've emailed him to ask.

Meanwhile from further looking, it looks like I can edit account settings for everyone up to and including Moderators, but not other Admins. Is this normal?  (I am just Admin - I haven't tried as super admin - I need to dig out the password.).

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

This suggests to me that you aren't really an Administrator. Group 1 has a few special protections, not least that non group 1 admins (even those with admin permissions) cannot access account settings.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That was what I was after too with my earlier comment of different admin levels.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Arantor

I just want to clarify that particular thing... there are protected groups, which you cannot add people to/remove people from unless you are in that group/that group's moderator, or you are group 1.

Account settings doesn't look at protected group for the page itself (though it does for the group selection in the page), it only establishes that if the person you are looking at it is group 1, you must be group 1 to see that page.

Griffinit

Solved it. Sort of.

Even though a user is an admin, they cannot alter other admin user's account settings even though the permissions imply they can.

The only way to edit admin users' account settings is to log in as the person/user that created the forum. (this is what I meant by super user - I don't know what SMF calls this person? Owner perhaps?).

That is, you have to be a group above the user's group to modify their account settings.

I have now given the admin user a new password.

Arantor

No, you don't have to be a group above. You have to have the relevant permission, which is fine unless the person you're trying to alter is in group 1, then you must also be in group 1 - the same level.

Advertisement: