News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Username and Name

Started by SatTrkr, August 03, 2018, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatTrkr

In my SNF forum, under profile, I have Username and Name. It indicates that under Name - This is the displayed name that people will see. I do not want this Name to be displayed, I want the Username to be displayed instead. I do want the Name displayed but I want this hidden from all users.

Under Members - Members List - The second column is titled Username. However, the data under that column title is not the Username but is the Name information. How can I get the actual Username to appear on that column instead of the Name data?
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Arantor

I'm curious... why? It's actually a nice security feature whereby the displayed name is not the same as the actual username, making it hard for users to brute force each other's login. (You can't login here using 'Arantor' for example)

SatTrkr

This has to do with GDPR rules.

In my forum I require users to register as follows:

Under Username - they can pick whatever username they wish
Under Name - I require new users to give their Real Name and I populate that name under - Name.

Under Memberlist it has a column labeled Username. However, the data under it is - Name data. I want that to be - Username data

Also I do not want the - Name data to show up anywhere on the forum that other members can see. I just want the - Username to show up.

Maybe what I am seeing as administrator is not the same what a user will see. I guess I will do a registration and see what a regular user actually sees. What I have indicated above is what I see as an administrator.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Arantor

Uh... you need real name for GDPR? For what reason?

What you're asking for is a huge change to SMF, and before embarking on going through the code to document the dozens of changes required (and there are dozens), I really want to understand the need.

SatTrkr

I do not need real name for GDPR. I am trying to hide the real name to meet GDPR rules.

I ask for Real Names during registration so when I actually put a price on the software and sell it that I already have the user's real name so when they pay for it the name matches their payment name so I know I have the correct user registration information.

Arantor

How about not collecting it in the first place, and just let users put whatever they want in the first place? Like the forum does out of the box?

SatTrkr

I ask for Real Names during registration so when I actually put a price on the software and sell it that I already have the user's real name so when they pay for it the name matches their payment name so I know I have the correct user registration information.

Also, the Name in the profile cannot be changed by the user. Only I, as administrator, can add or change that Name . At least that is how I see it.

When a user registers they assign a Username. That also populates the Name field with the same name used in Username. When I ask for their real name I change the Name field to their real name. But I don't want that displayed - I want their Username displayed. I don't want their - Name - displayed anywhere in the forum. Only I, as the administrator, want to see their Name - field populated by me during registration with their real name. I can't be any more clearer than that.

Arantor

Unfortunately SMF doesn't work the way you seem to think - the 'real name', or display name, is used basically everywhere in the software, so it has to be changed in every single place individually in the code. Honestly, the best way to solve this is to not use that field whatsoever but to create a new custom profile field that only you can see and assign it in there.

SatTrkr

Why does the Members - Members List - Username column not display the Username as it states? Instead it is actually displaying the data in the - Name - field. That seems to be in error to me.

How can I fix that?

Arantor

It displays the name most people would see, and the name that most people would know users by. It's not a bug.

If you're asking me how to fix the title so it says 'Name' instead of 'Username', that's an easy fix.

If you're asking me how to change the member list to use the username instead of the display name so you can carry on with your GDPR behaviour, I'm not going to help you because you're then going to ask how to do the same thing in threads (where the real name is shown) and then everywhere else in the forum.

But I assure you, it's not a bug, it's just what most people would expect to see.

SatTrkr

It is not my GDPR behavior forcing the issue - it is the new rules set by the GDPR forcing the issue. I'm fine the way it is but the new rules set forth by GDPR is generating my question on this. This is all associated with PII (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personally_identifiable_information) of the GDPR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation).

Kindred

We know all about the GDPR
I believe that you are misinterpreting something... because nothing in the gdpr says anything like what you are suggesting that you "have"to do.

If you want to collect real names but don't want them displayed, the set up a custom profile field which is visible only to the admin and the account owner.

Leave username, aka login name, and real name, aka display name alone. Don't touch them. Don't mess with them.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

I have not made any interpretation of the GDPR. I am asking if what I am doing needs to be addressed because of GDPR.

How do I set up a custom profile and how would I migrate the current profile to the custom profile?

Kindred

Custom profile field

Read the online manual link above.

But there is no good way to migrate the existing users.
So...   set it up then ask your users to change their display name to something and fill out the real name custom field.

But there is also nothing in the gdpr that says you have to change what you are doing.   You just have to delete their real name from the account (or delete the account) when they demand it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

There was no link above - it just says Custom profile field. I did a search in the online manual and a search for "Custom profile field" turns up empty.

I have 1260 users to date so asking 1260 users to make that change is not practical.

Okay on the GDPR.

So the only thing that needs to be changed in the SMF software is the title 'username' in the Members List to 'real name' so the data in the column matches up with the title on the column.

Arantor

That doesn't need changing at all. It really doesn't.

aegersz

i don't want to know someone's real name so i must ask "why do you ?"

all forum members feel it easier to converse with that little bit of privacy.

if i were you, i would let it go.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Arantor

In terms of setting up the custom profile field, go to Admin > Configuration > Core Features, find the button next 'Advanced Profile Fields', press it, press save. Now in the admin menu is a new option called Profile Fields.

In there you can make a new text field, and you can set it to be admin only (since that's the only use case I think you need it for), or you can set it so that the owner and admins can access it.

That done, you can put all the relevant names into that custom profile field, and leave people to change whatever their displayed name is to suit themselves.

SatTrkr

Quote from: aegersz on August 04, 2018, 06:15:53 AM
i don't want to know someone's real name so i must ask "why do you ?"

all forum members feel it easier to converse with that little bit of privacy.

if i were you, i would let it go.

I already addressed you question in Reply #6.

SatTrkr

Quote from: Arantor on August 04, 2018, 06:21:23 AM
In terms of setting up the custom profile field, go to Admin > Configuration > Core Features, find the button next 'Advanced Profile Fields', press it, press save. Now in the admin menu is a new option called Profile Fields.

In there you can make a new text field, and you can set it to be admin only (since that's the only use case I think you need it for), or you can set it so that the owner and admins can access it.

That done, you can put all the relevant names into that custom profile field, and leave people to change whatever their displayed name is to suit themselves.

Thank you for that information. I also thank you for helping me out with this and spending the time on the subject. Best regards to you.

Advertisement: